Security Installer Community

Question For Engineers

What is the best way to test smoke detectors on an intruder alarm that has smoke detectors fitted to it?

What are the reasons for your answers?

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Smokes: tinned smoke

Heats: Hairdryer. The heat attachment for the Solo tester looks more professional but costs mega bucks.

Reasons are fairly obvious I think.

OK Thanks for your quick reply. So now we know what to use what is the method of using them eg How long should they be used for and at what distance from the heads befor we would expect the alarm to activate?

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

the smoke gas shuld be held about 1 metre away shuld avtivate within 30 secs

heats will activate as soon as they reach the temperture that they are designed to go e.g 57oC

All comments in this post are my own views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

the smoke gas shuld be held about 1 metre away shuld avtivate within 30 secs

heats will activate as soon as they reach the temperture that they are designed to go e.g 57oC

Thanks again for your replies. Just one more question. How do you test a head that is for carbon monoxide?

They do CO2 gas for testing those aswell mate.

oh the planet please save the planet the Polar Bears need our help!

when testing with canned smoke, i take a small battery personal fan or large bit of card, when the smoke activates then i use card to clear it quicker and reduce the amount of 'repeats' if you squirt too much smoke.

you should vacuum out the heads out to, but then what do i know about fire alarms? :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

They do CO2 gas for testing those aswell mate.

I didn't think CO2 was a problem :whistle:

Archived