Security Installer Community

Baxall

Tagfcuk

I am one of those lucky, I think 170, not 150, now out looking for work. I should be sorted by the end of this week. Wish me luck.

Having been there quite a while I've seen things change, but the earlier poster was right, the company's been on the downward slide for a long time, and I think Norbain were glad to be rid of it, when they sold it to MD.

I didn't rate MD personally, and wouldn't go near a business he was in again, but I think even a good MD would have found Baxall hard to run.

He made a lot of people redundant and got PCBs built outside, and it was hard to argue with that, but he didn't appear to know how to sell anything.

I thought the management were okay, no better or worse than the ones we had before, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to work out that they didn't get a say. MD used to pull the rug from under them on a daily basis, and the number of times he changed product decisions was laughable.

I don't think the company will come back now. I've also heard that Tyco have bought part of the business and that DM are in for another part. Sad times.

I read the above with a degree of amusement.

Most of the points made are true. The place was hopelessly overstaffed and disorganised and had been for years, the Vivid DVR was inherited by the last owner, and their main PCB assembly sub-con company did go pop.

BUT..... (and a big BUT, at that).... to claim that the last owner/MD (as no-one seems to be using his name, I'll continue the trend) was blameless and powerless to do anything about these issues is pure, unadulterated BS.

MD (as we'll call him) actively supported and promoted some of the most ineffectual, incompetent and self-serving people in the company.

MD threw his weight fully behind the ill-fated DVR, at the expense of developing core-competence products. Ridculous marketing and branding exercises delayed it's launch for months under his watchful eye. In short; he loved it, and saw it as the future of the company.

MD appointed a manufacturing director, who personally oversaw the outsourcing of PCB assembly to the now defunct sub-con company, flogged them the assembly lines, then joined them himself. Eggs/Basket/ Number less than two????

All sounds like a class management act to me.

I don't think MD will starve without Baxall. I just hope the 150 don't either!

Bravo,,, i wish i could have put it that way.

I'm back from the pub, but still biting my tongue a bit!

I joined the company in 1988, when they were still making Vidicon (etc.)- based cameras, as my hobby was (& still is) collecting & restoring valve radios, and they were among the last thermionic devices being made.

I really enjoyed repairing cameras for many years, adapting to the changes in technology to CCDs, SMD, colour, DSP, and lead-free solder.

However, the last 18 months (or so) were rather stressful & sad, seeing so many good colleagues go, (& for other reasons, which is why I'm biting my tongue) and found the end, though sudden, chaotic, and undignified, to be rather a relief, on reflection.

I start a new job supporting 15-year-old equipment in a vaguely similar field, in a workshop somewhere a similar distance away from Stockport town centre, on Tuesday :)

hello Mr M.C,, how are you doing? Are you working with Mr S.M? would you be intrested in repairing cameras again?

P.S the Haphazard baxall was profitable and the MBO baxall was by far the most disorganised and un productive baxall FACT.

Errr, only just.

Whilst these may be unfortunate times for you all, For several years Baxall had been struggling to turn over a decent profit. I would assume the funding of the MBO was a cost that added to the burden.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Errr, only just.Whilst these may be unfortunate times for you all, For several years Baxall had been struggling to turn over a decent profit. I would assume the funding of the MBO was a cost that added to the burden.
errrr really,, had you seen the accounts? If you had you would know about the costs inolved with MBO.
errrr really,, had you seen the accounts? If you had you would know about the costs inolved with MBO.
not unfortunate for me,,, i didnt work there but had a vested intrest

errrr really,, had you seen the accounts? If you had you would know about the costs inolved with MBO.not unfortunate for me,,, i didnt work there but had a vested intrest

Has it happens, yes. got them right here in front of me. 2000-2006

from KPMG no doubt.. well ten take a look at the MBO.

were you going to have a punt pn the business?

Companies house actually.

Has for taking a punt on them, jeez no. Not that you could.

Archived