Security Installer Community

Veritas 8

kolobos

Hi All,

I am not an installer or electrician but i have a good knowledge of electronics etc. and can manage to carry out all my own electrical / electronic installation repair work and have a vast knowledge of pc's but there are times when i need HELP but i am reluctant to call someone out as in most cases i feel that i am been XXXXXX as they are not aware of my experiance and go down the usual route of "its probably knackered and you might need a new one" NO OFFENCE to you genuine guys and i believe i am genuine guy.

BUT:

Im currently fault finding a Veritas 8 alarm system where by at random times the AUX fuse will just blow leaving the sytem unable to be set, starting with aux equipment attached to the system i disconnected the auto dialer then the fire alarm battery module thingy (sorry don't know the terminolgy) but still it only lasts a few days until the fuse blows.

Next i disconnected the keypad that is used the most leaving the other two although i don't believe these are at fault.

One PIR is near the oven (stupid XXXXX place, but then i did not install the system) so disconnected that (LINKED OUT aswell)

Part set the system for nightime and then an instant activation from Zone 2 which has happened in the past for no reason (spider or something maybe) and the FUSE BLOWN.

Disconnected it and Linked out.

Not much else left to link out and then while testing again i see that ZONE 4 is open, then closed and open for a good while so control panel cover off again and then while checking connections i see that one of the zone 4 connections to this zone is not secure??? Would this be the cause of the fuse blowing if suddenly it decides to make the connection (due to heat exchanges expansion / contraction, minimal i know but thats all it takes) and then disconnect as if touching the wire manually while the system is live???

I have nearly exhausted all options here but i do now feel it is a PIR that is faulty somewhere but at

I am not an installer or electrician but i have a good knowledge of electronics etc. and can manage to carry out all my own electrical / electronic installation repair work and have a vast knowledge of pc's but there are times when i need HELP but i am reluctant to call someone out as in most cases

Just a few thoughts for you to ponder:

1. When you call someone out their time costs money, so the professional diagnostic approach can and will be very different to DIY when your time is costed at a (much?) lower rate. For example there's no point spending an hour at

Hi ,

Its most unlikely to be a faulty pir , most probably the wiring to the detectors.Could be a wire under the carpet or door , all depends on the quality of the install.When you are disconnecting devices , are you also removing the 12v supply to them?.

Regards.

I suggest you get yourself to Maplins or similar and buy a load of inline fuse holders, wire every single detector through its own fuse holder, put in lower rated fuses than the aux fuse in the panel so that ideally the individual fuse will blow first.

Then at least you will have an idea of where to look.

Most probably a cable fault as stated above, possibly staple through cable or gripper rod damaging insulation etc.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest anguscanplay

hi

how long have you had this fault for - something is knackered and you do need a new one

could be cable

could be sensor

could be external sounder

could be your burgled through an area you have shorted out

could be it goes of once to often and the neighbours call the council noise line

pay for an engineer - your not just paying for his hour on site your paying for his EXPERIENCE at curing this kind of fault

My favourites would be either a fault on your external bell.

try disconnecting it from c/u including the strobe ( it will or should rather ring for about 20 mins or longer if it is old / non new standard bell ).

Apart from that try replacing the battery.

But you really need to get a engineer in IMHO

good luck

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

My favourites would be either a fault on your external bell.

try disconnecting it from c/u including the strobe ( it will or should rather ring for about 20 mins or longer if it is old / non new standard bell ).

Apart from that try replacing the battery.

But you really need to get a engineer in IMHO

good luck

paul

Bet you a pound its a cable fault!!

Bet you a pound its a cable fault!!

now look as a ex hull lad myself i cannot afford such a expensive bet like that :cry::no:

(ps my 'method' would have carried o to say if it stops blowing fuse try reconnecting cable but disc at SAB end)

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

:rolleyes:Thanks for your help guys.

Firstly you all imply that i should call in an engineer and that his costs are justified, well i do if im absolutely stuck. ABSOLUTELY STUCK

Absolutely correct it is sometimes beneficial to just replace some items rather than spending time to test them etc. but i like to know the fault for future experiance.

Fault has been present over the last few weeks.

The bell box is my next area (why would it blow the AUX fuse it its power is not taken from the aux source?)

Things looking pretty good at the moment and ill report any further progress soon.

Many thanks again :rolleyes:

Archived