Security Installer Community

Motion Or Continuous Recording?

Map - Check the motion boxes as well ,on APC you can tell it trigger motion after 1,2,3,4 etc are picked up. Also there might be a newer software update for that unit since you bought it but ring Andy and ask him, he'll keep you straight

I have quite a few APC Dvr installed and your totally right they are on the money, i have yet to find a unit that offers same playback quality for that price.

Spec @ 500GB for commercial as some have already stated.

Are you heading to IFSEC?

Map - Check the motion boxes as well ,on APC you can tell it trigger motion after 1,2,3,4 etc are picked up. Also there might be a newer software update for that unit since you bought it but ring Andy and ask him, he'll keep you straight

I have quite a few APC Dvr installed and your totally right they are on the money, i have yet to find a unit that offers same playback quality for that price.

Spec @ 500GB for commercial as some have already stated.

Are you heading to IFSEC?

Funnily enough I checked with Andy I do have the latest software!!!! Also have been playing with motion sensitivity level and now seemed to have found an optimum position....Now and again the motion does seem to kick on and nothing is visible to me....I guess its called a phenonoem!!!!

Have set DVR at low frame rate on continuous and 1/1x on motion...seems to work great...And yes your right the quality is superb....

I also like the remote viewing proceedure...really quick and rapid...A real selling point to any customer....!

Will use 500G in Future....

I thought IFSEC finished last week! Will check dates...all the best Mat

remote view is good and as you say quick and easy

IFSEC starts tomorrow and runs to Thursday. gonna head over Tue-Thur and see whats new

You using Andy's cameras as well? or different kit?

Record constantly at a low frame rate and use motion detection to record at a higher frame rate, best of both worlds.

QFA

IMO - the duration calc should similar to the battwery calc for a fire panel

something like:

longest time to discover an incident + time to organise the export of the data (inc help from the installer)

so for a small commercial unit with a purpose of obtaining images of person(s) attempting to illegally enter the building you could probably suggest 4 days (for a bank holiday) PLUS 3 days (if an installer needed to be called) EQUALS 7 days.

Please don't flame me for the above comment about the installer needing to be called I'm not saying that installers take 72hrs to attend, just that we should allow approx that length of time just incase the eng has run out of evidence forms & CD's

If for example the site is a detector operated remotely monitored system, you could possible argue that 3 days is sufficient.

In general most standalone MPEG4 dvr's have a max capacity of around 1.2-1.5TB, thus giving a rough max record time for 16 cams, 200fps total, at high quality, in cif of around 10 days. Therefore if the client needs longer recording duration, you have to either drop the frame rate or quality or both to achieve this.

I'm more inclined to keep the quality and higher number of images per second...

There is also the cost implication, does the "small commercial system" actually require 1.5TB of storage - without mentioning trade prices it can add a significant chunk of cash to the equipment cost price and thus to the end user price.. not all clients can afford or want to afford the increased price and the installer may lose out on the job to a competitor with a lower spec DVR

Everyone will have their twist on it, but I've tried to us some sort of simple rule of thumb formula.

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Does anyone use lead in/lead out time on their DVRs,one motion event causes the DVR to save footage for example 3 mins before the event and 3 mins after, I have'nt seen this option on many recorders.Maybe if enabled this would have caught the salesman.

Does anyone use lead in/lead out time on their DVRs,one motion event causes the DVR to save footage for example 3 mins before the event and 3 mins after, I have'nt seen this option on many recorders.Maybe if enabled this would have caught the salesman.
Most of these multiplexers have a pre-motion setting which simply drops off the end if no motion is detected. If you do get motion it adds this footage to the recording. This is the biggest problem with motion is that you could lose the footage if the machine takes a long time to kick start, I reckon you will only get this problem with the cheap end of the market.

• 4 months later...
I installed a 4 channel system a few weeks ago in a small commercial property.......

It was a APC 4T2 triplex system. As a novice I found the 4T2 extremly user friendly to set up and was very suprised by the excellent picture quality.........

Anyway to cut a short story long, the customer phoned up and explained he had had an issue with a door-doorsalesman who got a little aggressive at which point the Police were called (but no involved any further)...On playback the DVR was set to motion detect and then to record for 30s however " the discussion" lasted all of two minutes and basically the DVR only caught the guy walking away.......

So what is common practice?? Set motion detect for long periods OR use continuous recording??

Would appreciate some advice here so I don't make the same mistake again....

Hi,

I know this was left a long time ago but I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the pre-alarm recording facility that some DVR's offer. The pre- and post alarm option will almost always make sure that you get the full incident. Dont forget that leaving your cams on motion all the time can give issues as well. With a 4 channel you will be alright but with anything larger than an 8 channel you could run in to difficulty.

We are based in Ireland and our DVR of choice is the DOWSHU. We have used their XP-Embedded range for years and they now have a great LINUX based unit as well.

cheers Mate.

So long as the motion detection is set high enough, there should not be a problem with getting the hole clip where it motion. You can often set the dvr to pre recording, if there a problem with not the whole sequence are recorded. On most dvr you got timeline search, if you set it tho continious recording, you don't see when there are action in front of cameras. And there will be harder to search back in time and find what you looking for. Of course some recorders got some good object serch functions, but quite few 4ch dvr with those functions!

Dowshu are indeed an excellent unit but a combo of sending a dodgy A D T sales rep around Northern Ireland.........etc.....we say no more on that subject and the excessive price for their product lead me to source higher end machines else where,now use mainly EZ CCTV with Geovision units

Dowshu seem popular in South, that cause they have dist in Cork?

Archived