Security Installer Community

Motion Or Continuous Recording?

I installed a 4 channel system a few weeks ago in a small commercial property.......

It was a APC 4T2 triplex system. As a novice I found the 4T2 extremly user friendly to set up and was very suprised by the excellent picture quality.........

Anyway to cut a short story long, the customer phoned up and explained he had had an issue with a door-doorsalesman who got a little aggressive at which point the Police were called (but no involved any further)...On playback the DVR was set to motion detect and then to record for 30s however " the discussion" lasted all of two minutes and basically the DVR only caught the guy walking away.......

So what is common practice?? Set motion detect for long periods OR use continuous recording??

Would appreciate some advice here so I don't make the same mistake again....

I installed a 4 channel system a few weeks ago in a small commercial property.......

It was a APC 4T2 triplex system. As a novice I found the 4T2 extremly user friendly to set up and was very suprised by the excellent picture quality.........

Anyway to cut a short story long, the customer phoned up and explained he had had an issue with a door-doorsalesman who got a little aggressive at which point the Police were called (but no involved any further)...On playback the DVR was set to motion detect and then to record for 30s however " the discussion" lasted all of two minutes and basically the DVR only caught the guy walking away.......

So what is common practice?? Set motion detect for long periods OR use continuous recording??

Would appreciate some advice here so I don't make the same mistake again....

Interested to know why the system didn't pick up the visitor walking up to the property

Interested to know why the system didn't pick up the visitor walking up to the property

Ah sorry for being a little evasive...Yes the system did pick person up on walking to property and continued recording for the motion period of 30s...No problems there/ the ID is also very good but the system failed to actually catch the required moment due to my poor judgement.......

Yes maybe so but with cams running at 200IPS a 250Gb memory is not going to give much more than a week recording time......Is that correct?

Ofcourse I understand the reason behind for continuous, I just like the idea of memory conservation.....Not sure what the maximum on time is for motion detection on the 4T2 ......great piece of kit for the $$$

The 4T2 is availible in several different guises but the support from APC is top draw!!!!

Record constantly at a low frame rate and use motion detection to record at a higher frame rate, best of both worlds.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest anguscanplay
Record constantly at a low frame rate and use motion detection to record at a higher frame rate, best of both worlds.

or slightly the other way round then use the motion event log record to find the footage required

Guys, many thx for for contructive comments...I have taken on board 3 key points..

1) Use continuous @ low rate, and then motion @ 1/1x

2) Increase the sensitivity of motion detect.....This was set at minimum !!!!.

3) Use 500Gb min hardrive for any commercial installation.

Many thx for all contributions......

Archived