Security Installer Community

Motion Or Continuous Recording?

I installed a 4 channel system a few weeks ago in a small commercial property.......

It was a APC 4T2 triplex system. As a novice I found the 4T2 extremly user friendly to set up and was very suprised by the excellent picture quality.........

Anyway to cut a short story long, the customer phoned up and explained he had had an issue with a door-doorsalesman who got a little aggressive at which point the Police were called (but no involved any further)...On playback the DVR was set to motion detect and then to record for 30s however " the discussion" lasted all of two minutes and basically the DVR only caught the guy walking away.......

So what is common practice?? Set motion detect for long periods OR use continuous recording??

Would appreciate some advice here so I don't make the same mistake again....

Motion sensing is only used if you have a smaller disk and want to record over a longer period or at higher quality. At home I use a cheapy Vista Quantum 80Gb with four cameras and I get a months recording at highest resolution. The motion sense is perfect and will quickly start, I have it set on a high sensitivity but only the areas I am interested in movement. Everytime the motion activates it makes an event in the event log and even tells you which camera has activated, saves trawling through hours of footage.

We mainly use the high end Muxes in our jobs such as Pelco DX and DM stuff. Most of these multiplexers have a pre-motion setting which simply drops off the end if no motion is detected. If you do get motion it adds this footage to the recording. This is the biggest problem with motion is that you could lose the footage if the machine takes a long time to kick start, I reckon you will only get this problem with the cheap end of the market. The Pelco DX handles motion effortless and we have sites with 1Tb disks with 16 cameras whcih would only give us 2 weeks due to four audio lines, changed to motion and now get around 40 days at the same frame rates and quality.

Motion does have it's place as long as you realise the limitations.

cheers

Dave

Dave, whats your reason for using multiplexers?

cheers

Hi Adi

I take you mean instead of a PC based system like Geovision?

Well the Pelco DX is PC based but sold as a finished item, embarrassingly it uses Windows 2000! :lol:

I prefer DM for the simple reason that is has it's own proprietary non PC based operating system. This means it won't lock up, freeze, crash or catch a virus like PC's have a habit of doing.

Saying that I seen a really smart Geovision system in a midget PC at a Chemist recently, looked good but I am still scared of them! :lol:

cheers

Dave

Guest anguscanplay
I prefer DM for the simple reason that is has it's own proprietary non PC based operating system. This means it won't lock up, freeze, crash or catch a virus like PC's have a habit of doing.

cheers

Dave

dear old`s home system is a DM sprite - networked,motion detection -5 cameras - over a months recording.Pre record is exellent and its been used three times this month - break in next door last night as it happens - by local police to make arrests- think he`s up for some kind of community award soon

Remind me where he lives so that I dont move nearby :o

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hi Adi

I take you mean instead of a PC based system like Geovision?

Well the Pelco DX is PC based but sold as a finished item, embarrassingly it uses Windows 2000! :lol:

Saying that I seen a really smart Geovision system in a midget PC at a Chemist recently, looked good but I am still scared of them! :lol:

cheers

Dave

No mate, i mean why not use a dvr.

Im starting to wonder if my stella pickled brain is not in gear.

cheers

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

They are DVRs Adi, I expect it was a slip of the tongue by Dave.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

They are DVRs Adi, I expect it was a slip of the tongue by Dave.

Digital Video Recorder or Digital Multiplexer all the same to me :lol:

Dave

Archived