Security Installer Community

Sat Nav

PJF

Im looking at getting sat nav this weekend. Its not that i want it, more a case of need it.

My problem is which one will work for me, im not after anything amazing just a basic bit of kit that does what its ment to. Post code to post code nothing more.

I have seen the tom tom1 for

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

What about Navman, the F20 is

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

I have TomTom1 and it is very good. The more expensive TomToms have European mapping and such things.. but I don't need that.

Don't get a Garmin.... the satellite pick-up is nowhere near as good as TomTom.

My only complaints (about all of them):

Battery only lasts a few hours before it needs to be plugged into the lighter socket... and then you have the lead hanging down.

They sometimes take you down stupid, pokey, winding little roads instead of keeping you on faster, easier ones.

Oh, and get some voices... I have John Cleese: When you arrive at your destination he says, "You are on you own. I am not going to carry your bags"... :P

AG

I got the european tom tom. Excellent bit of kit, picks up satelite very quickly and that is in vehicles with a heat reflecting windscreens.

I got some voices as well, I got Knight Rider, Dr Evil, Austin Powers, Homer Simpson and Sean Connery. Also got the Gatso, Red Light, SPECS overlays. LEt me know if any of you want some.

cheers

Dave

Im looking at getting sat nav this weekend. Its not that i want it, more a case of need it.

My problem is which one will work for me, im not after anything amazing just a basic bit of kit that does what its ment to. Post code to post code nothing more.

I have seen the tom tom1 for

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Don't get a Garmin.... the satellite pick-up is nowhere near as good as TomTom.

Can't compare with Tom Tom as never used one but I have a Garmin Streetpilot 3i, it waa grudge purchase and cost just

TomTom all the way.

I have used various ones in the past, the AA route planner being the worst. TomTom is expensive but they have been around since the start and athough this does not always count for much they have had time to perfect it over the years.

I have the TOMTOM GO510. I have been very pleased with it Gps locks on quick, and it has bluetooth so you can connect it to your mobile phone so it doubles up as a hands free device.

I used to have the one of the original versions on my pda and i was pleased with it then, now its even better i was so impressed with the diffrences they had achieved in the space of a few years.

Ah, I thought that with it being a grudge purchase you must have been dibbled.

No "grudge" in that it was getting harder to find my way around in outlying areas and having had a brief experience of being in a vehicle with one I was thoroughly confused by the verbal instructions, ("next left" would have taken us into Sainsburys!).

I now understand how the things work with the verbal instructions/roadmap coordination and I don't know how I managed without one before.

Archived