Security Installer Community

Sat Nav

PJF

One problem I find with sat nav is I don't know where I am... What I mean is if you find your way by map reading or road signs you know exactly where you are ..... but with sat nav you just follow directions.

One day I was on the mobile (hands free of course) and my caller asked where I was and I paused for a moment and then replied, "I really have no idea... I think I am in Somerset, but I'm not sure."

:hmm: my Garmin tells you where you are eg. north on A420, (now if you don't know which county you are in I'm not sure what there is to help you :lol: )

the route (pun intended) that Iwould like to go down is sat nav, pda & phone all in one any one got one with a screen big enough to read a pdf of an alarm book on?

(Oh, by the way the A420 doesn't go North clever clogs... It goes West to East... :) ... That's 1-0 to me I think)

:no: 0-1 actually

The A420 is a road between Bristol and Oxford in England.

It leaves Bristol on the East side, through Kingswood. From here it travels Eastward over the limestone country, to the north of Bath, to Chippenham in Wiltshire. As a result of the building of the M4 motorway and subsequent road modernisation, it has lost its identity to the B4069 through Sutton Benger and to the North of RAF Lyneham and its limestone ridge.

At Lyneham, it picks up the A3102 northeast to Swindon. Leaving Swindon by way of Stratton St Margaret, it crosses the A419 to travel under the Great Western Main Line at the dangerous Acorn Bridge and by-pass Shrivenham and Watchfield, then on towards Faringdon in the Vale of White Horse. A new section by-passes Faringdon, under Folly Hill and crosses the A417.

The A420 then travels the corallian limestone ridge that forms the Northwest border of the Vale of White Horse, travelling past Littleworth, Buckland and Longworth. A new dual-carriageway section by-passes Southmoor and Kingston Bagpuize, on its way to Oxford.

A further dual-carriageway section descends Cumnor Hill, to give a view of the City of Dreaming Spires that is Oxford from the west. It then passes the Oxford Ring Road, through the suburb of Botley and down the Botley Road to central Oxford. Within Oxford, parts of St Aldate's, the High Street, King Edward Street, Oriel Square and Merton Street are designated the A420.

Yeh... yeh ... yeh... You spent ages scanning the map to find the only bit of the A420 that goes north, and then only for about a mileCome on Roger. Admit defeat. 1-0 to me.

Actually afternoon nap :lol:

Oh, by the way the A420 doesn't go North clever clogs... It goes West to East...

Come on Paul admit defeat gracefully - you can travel north on the A420! :yes:

hi luggsey,

since the MIO launched several have jumped on the sat nav bandwagon, and having wi fi obviously would be an advantage if i was buying today. by the time i buy another they will build it all into a watch :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Up until recently we did quite a bit of work in London as well. Have you ever used a Tom Tom in London, brilliant. Guides you through all the unknown roads the locals know and then pops you out at your destination!

Before I had my Tom Tom go I used Tom Tom on a PDA ipaq, this was not as successful. The signal often went due to the vans heat reflecting windscreen even though I had the bluetooth version close to the windscreen.

Have any of you guys used Tom Tom traffic? It's supposed to design the route taking into account of delays etc...

cheers

Dave

hi Dave,

i have TMC on mine and works a treat.

regs

alan

the route (pun intended) that Iwould like to go down is sat nav, pda & phone all in one any one got one with a screen big enough to read a pdf of an alarm book on?

there is a big (i think SPV5000) pda/phone with wiz around large screen looks like a min pc, but put all your doc's on a 2 gig card (like me)

regs

alan.

i agree, with nav you can find places easily, but try finding a place without it, one that you used sat nav to go to before. very strange

i find thats the same if you follow another driver, i can never remember the the same way afterwards it just don't 'burn in' like looking on a map.

regs

alan

Archived