Security Installer Community

Fancy A Laugh

F C E

Hey All, Just found another forum site with this posted in the electrical section, What would you say to the Following

Quote:

Can I solder a ring main? i.e. I need to connect one 2.5mm mains cable to another in a very tight space. Is it OK for me to solder (and insulate) these cables rather than to use a screw-block?

I was about to solder them when my builder told me "Jack, never solder mains cables. Mains cables get hot and the solder will mealt".

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. Solder mealts at about 190 degrees C. Something is VERY wrong if a ring main gets up to 190! Not to mention that the insulation will fail long before the solder.

I'm a house owner, not an electrician although I do have electronics A-Level and I've been playing with wires since I was quite small.

So: Will a ring main get hot enough to mealt solder, even under fault conditions?

All comments in this post are my own views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

Ah ahahh ahah ahah

u avin a laugh :P

No on a serious note as soldered joint with heat shrink is acceptable although it would be alot simpler to use crimp or scotch connetors

ve hav ze nolij or if not we ask!!!!

what a classsic, builders should stick to what they know!!!

id be very concerned if a ring main ever got to 190 degrees c

At least you wont need the heating on in winter :P

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived