Security Installer Community

Brand New To The Industry

Guest moominboy

Guest moominboy

lol! loads of good answers, thanks guys.

have no idea what , or where exactly im installing. its in glasgow as a large commercial outfit. is all i know.

yes ive just finished my forces resettlement courses and a "proper" install in my head is one with customers....sort of!

i have an engineering background in the military for 6 years and going by these replies it seems soldiers and civvies have a lot more in common than i thought!

1, find the best cafe.

2, respect the other trades, and be nice to them just in case you need them later on ;p

thanks again guys!

Buy the best equipment/tools that you can afford to help you do the job well and if cant afford the right equipment to do a job, then sometimes its better to walk away rather than get yourself in a mess.

Are you installing computer networks or Security Systems, or even both?

hi folks, not posted since i joined but i've been reading here and there.

just wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to what to expect with my first proper install?

having done two courses and feeling confident about how i'll do, something is nagging me that it's going to be bigger pain than i can imagine!

it's a big commercial job apparently in glasgow, so the deep end it is for me i think. :P

hi moominboy,

welcome to the forum and our trade,

just a word to be wise, noted you are from the armed force's so i just thought to worth mentioning we use a hammer drill and a 10mm masonary bit to make a hole through a wall - not an armour piercing round :)

good luck and very proud your joining us.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

it seems soldiers and civvies have a lot more in common than i thought!

Sorry to burst the bubble but they dont!

Youve led a sheltered life in the military, you have to be profitable now and thats a massive difference. Also people wont jump when you give out orders anymore, they will do what they think is important and all of a sudden your not in control either.

Its a huge culture change (in my experience it was anyway) but its surmountable, time & experience will be your buddy now! Sparkies will be your next new buddies, keep them sweet and they will help you out.

Good luck and have fun.

Guest moominboy

alarmgard..it was actually touch and go whether i'd aim to be a computer tech/admin a few months ago, trained myself up but lost any confidence in "silicon glen " being full of excellent job ops so..stuck with my interests i suppose.

arfur mo..do those masonry thingys have gas recoil or not? ;p

ian.cant .. yeah i know, kinda scary but im looking forward to it! i just meant the tongue in cheek answers like" where's the caff?"

Archived