Security Installer Community

Brand New To The Industry

Guest moominboy

Guest moominboy

hi folks, not posted since i joined but i've been reading here and there.

just wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to what to expect with my first proper install?

having done two courses and feeling confident about how i'll do, something is nagging me that it's going to be bigger pain than i can imagine!

it's a big commercial job apparently in glasgow, so the deep end it is for me i think. :P

Firstly what are you installing?

What to expect from your first propper install?

What do you class as propper?

Have you ever done any practical work or have you just come straigh from a college or a short course in security installations.

What to expect from your first install......

That everything you have learnt is pretty much nothing like what your going to be doing tomorrow.

Have you ever run cables before?

Have you used a drill before?

Have you ever climbed a ladder before?

Have you ever had to park 2 miles away from somewhere and carried handfulls of equipment to your location, only to find its time to go back and move the car as your time is up?

It's only just begun :)

just wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to what to expect with my first proper install?

having done two courses and feeling confident about how i'll do, something is nagging me that it's going to be bigger pain than i can imagine!

it's a big commercial job apparently in glasgow, so the deep end it is for me i think. :P

First proper install...????...what are you a trainee just coming to the end of your training????....only thing i can tell you is the first 10 years are the worst :P

I suspect you have been the boy helping other engineers and this is your first job of your own?---

1. Dont panic

2.Look twice do once

3.Run the job step by step(a big job is just lots of small jobs running end to end)

4.Keep in the back of your mind what you would expect if you were the customer

5.If you have back up and are stumped on something---ASK!!!!

Good luck boy !!

I suspect you have been the boy helping other engineers and this is your first job of your own?---

1. Dont panic

2.Look twice do once

3.Run the job step by step(a big job is just lots of small jobs running end to end)

4.Keep in the back of your mind what you would expect if you were the customer

5.If you have back up and are stumped on something---ASK!!!!

Good luck boy !!

QFA, especially on that last point there. Also, keep things neat and tidy. Just because someone is'nt living there does'nt mean you should cut any corners (not saying that you would!) You will probably hit one or two minor problems, though it's probably something that can be worked around with a little planning and forethought. Don't rush as this is when mistakes are made.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Trade Member

Make sure you follow the site rules too, find out who is in charge, then who is second in charge.

Be nice to the electricians, its likely you will need them to give you preference on something down the line.

Respect the other trades but dont let them walk over you, remember you have a job to complete also and have less time to do it.

Make sure you have everything you need and put it somewhere thats not going to be in the way of everyone else.

Get on with what your doing and try not to let them know its your first job on your own, although some may bend over backwards to help you, but then again some will use you as a scape goat if things aren't going the way they should.

If you are unsure about where equipment is going always confirm with the site foreman, chances are that since the initial planning, someone in their infinate wisdom has decided to install a susspended ceiling for some extra lighting that will now obscure your sensors/cameras or there are some large hanging signs that will be in front of your equipment.

Make sure you follow the site rules too, find out who is in charge, then who is second in charge.

Be nice to the electricians, its likely you will need them to give you preference on something down the line.

Respect the other trades but dont let them walk over you, remember you have a job to complete also and have less time to do it.

Make sure you have everything you need and put it somewhere thats not going to be in the way of everyone else.

Get on with what your doing and try not to let them know its your first job on your own, although some may bend over backwards to help you, but then again some will use you as a scape goat if things aren't going the way they should.

If you are unsure about where equipment is going always confirm with the site foreman, chances are that since the initial planning, someone in their infinate wisdom has decided to install a susspended ceiling for some extra lighting that will now obscure your sensors/cameras or there are some large hanging signs that will be in front of your equipment.

DITTO!! All very valid points for site work!!!!!!

Archived