Security Installer Community

Need To Set Up Cctv At Home, Please Help.

Guest obyri

Hi there.

We are having hassle with local kids throwing stones etc so we need to set up CCTV.

I need 2 cameras in all to point to my garden wall and reach about 10 meters. The cameras need to be indoors otherwise kids will aim at them and just smash them, so they need to be able to focus thru the glass of my double glazed window. There is some light outside but not a great deal so I know I need low lux cameras.

I have been told I can't have infared as it will just bounce back off the glass and Maplins today told me if I need the camera to see at night that I should avoid colour cameras???

I need a decent picture both day and night can anyone please suggest anything? I have been looking at xvision pcc338 but read somewhere on here that xvision should be avoided. Then I was looking at Vista cameras but I can't find any where that actually sells them.

Does anyone have any ideas please on what camera would be best and where I can buy one to in the UK?

As stated above the lens will have to be pressed against the glass otherwise if there is a light on inside all you will see is a reflection. If you cant get it right against the glass, put the camera in a box and put the box against the window.

In general, Black and White will be cheaper and better in low light

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hiya, I'm looking to use something without infared if I can. I know there are low lux cameras out there without the IR LEDs but I need to know which one would be the best for us to use.

Thanks.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

There wont be a light on inside, the cams are going into the bedroom window and its pretty dark in there most of the time.

Does anyone know where you can buy Vista cameras online? Also is I thought if I got a colour camera that auto switched to b/w when it got dark the picture should be ok, but Maplins said to stay away from colour full stop, is that true?

Thanks.

Guest Peter James

I would install vandal resistant VLD domes, they work in low light and the stones will bounce off them.

Either that or just get a mosquitto, no kids no stone throwing!!

Ohh one of those. Can't have one I have a young son and it would drive him nuts. Plus the kids don't hang around to throw the stones, they do it as they are passing by on their bikes so need CCTV so the police can ID them.

Archived