Security Installer Community

440v Socket!!!

gupster

I doubt it's actually 440v, I thought there was some sort of requrement to put stickers like that on if there was 2 things on different phases within a certain distance of each other, panic over i'm sure. :fear:

egg03064.gif

I doubt it's actually 440v,

me too where the termials for the two extra phases than?

There is a requirement that if more than 240 volts exist between equiment less than 2 meters apart it should be labled.

The prefered wording is more than 240v exists between this and adjacent equipment, but some people just stick 415v stickers on everything. Incerdently you only get 440v on two phase suppiles.

Trade Member

Guest Alarm Guard

I doubt it's actually 440v,

me too where the termials for the two extra phases than?

There is a requirement that if more than 240 volts exist between equiment less than 2 meters apart it should be labled.

The prefered wording is more than 240v exists between this and adjacent equipment, but some people just stick 415v stickers on everything. Incerdently you only get 440v on two phase suppiles.

Surely it is 400v on 2 phase? :hmm:

Could be anything really, could be the sparks had run out of 'DANGER 240V' stickers.

I've got a 'DANGER 415V' sticker on my tool box, doesn't mean it's got 415V running through it.

Surely it is 400v on 2 phase? :hmm:

Nope defiantly 440v on two phase supplies like they use in the country side, 11,000 on two wires on over head poles and they fit a centre taped transformer to give two phases of 240 each which some how makes 440v across phases as they are 180 deg apart instead of 120dec on three phase supplies.

Trade Member

Nope defiantly 440v on two phase supplies like they use in the country side, 11,000 on two wires on over head poles and they fit a centre taped transformer to give two phases of 240 each which some how makes 440v across phases as they are 180 deg apart instead of 120dec on three phase supplies.

Nope - Three phase has 400v between any two phases (formally 415)

Two phases would also have 400v, as it's simply two out of three phases in use.

SPLIT PHASE would have 460v (formally 480) derived from two phases of a 11,000volt supply. The centre tap gives a 180deg wavefore - which is therefore an equal balance.

440v stickers go back to days gone by.....

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Archived