Security Installer Community

Visual Deterrants

I already have an alarm system with modern bellboxes front and back.

Is there anthing else that works well as a visual deterrent to potential burglars?

I've considered a dummy CCTV camera, but I'm worried this would give the impression that I had loads to protect!

Before someone suggest a "Beware of the Dog" sign, I should mention that I don't have a dog!

Are there any bellbox types that have extra deterrent power?

Any other suggestions?

The best deterrant bell box-wise is one with the name of a reputable company on it. Failing that, a box with super bright LEDs may do the trick aswell. The Gardtec Nova boxes are great for this, especially with a red strobe lense (see the pic to the left) although you may struggle getting hold of one.

A couple of dummy CCTV housings might do the trick but they might be a tad large for a domestic property, you can get some half decent ones for not alot. The best deterrant is usually strong physical security. A prickly hedge or a tall fence with thos plastic spikey strips around the top round the rear and sides with good lighting and strong doors/windows with decent locks will likely put off most opportunist theives.

Trade Member

Guest RICHL

You dont have to have a dog to have a beware of the dog sign, there are no dog police enforcing signage (yet!), its often one of the first things a CPO would suggest.

I once went on a call out to a golf club at 2 am as i pulled in to the car park i saw what i thaught was the security guard in his cabin looking at me.

I got out of the car and walked over to let him know who i was.

he did not seem to move at all.

LOL

It was a 5ft card board cut out of David Dickenson in the window with a light left on in behind him all night. ( CHEEP AS CHIPS ) lol

But it worked as i was fooled by it

Is there anthing else that works well as a visual deterrent to potential burglars?

Well positioned Security Lighting is always a good deterant. Even better would be a Security Lighting control system such as a GJD.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Well positioned Security Lighting is always a good deterant. Even better would be a Security Lighting control system such as a GJD.

Always a good deterrent? I don't think so, more like an aid. Who is up and about at 2am looking to see who is walking about in their back garden - no one, the the lights come on, the intruder can see exactly where to go and IF disturbed can run away safely.

Lighting is an aid to the householder, can see to empty the car, not trip over the childrens toys etc and IF an intruder has been disturbed, can watch him run away.

I have never understood why "lighting is always a good deterrent" it's not. Sales pitch? :question:

magpye

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Archived