Security Installer Community

One For The Oldies

I ripped out my first A&G control panel circa 1986. When I stumbled across this web site, it brought back a few memories and I thought I'd share it with the oldies......

http://www.waynealarm.com/antiquecorner/burglary.htm

It's all American gear - but I'm sure that some of you guys have been around longer than me and will find it interesting.

Wonder if there are any Racal 772 PIR's still in service ?

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

I ripped out my first A&G control panel circa 1986. When I stumbled across this web site, it brought back a few memories and I thought I'd share it with the oldies......

http://www.waynealarm.com/antiquecorner/burglary.htm

It's all American gear - but I'm sure that some of you guys have been around longer than me and will find it interesting.

Hi Virtual Monitoring,

i regognise the Aretech Ultrasonic Controls, brought back memorie's of attending sites early hours after f/a's, listenning for time clocks (bells), telephones (bells) compressors (escaping air) or any source of hi frequency noise like squeaking fans left on or corrogated roof sheets screeching in the wind.

for 'old sods' like me that stuff was sheer cutting edge at one time, but then i go back way before this kit, to shortly after enginners stopped making the control and contact equiment actually on site. door contacts were made from large 'kerry springs' and a bit of brass or copper shim covered mahogany to make the bar.

servicing these contacts required cleaning with emery clothe every 3 months, but then that was in the days that alarm engineers were real men :P

test equipment? what test equipment, luky if you had a battered meter, let alone deflection meter or even a mega, just a pair of knives and some wire attached to the tounge - yes your one :cry: windup yes clockwork '999' machines based on a 78 rpm record, a chrome dial which dropped after dialling 9 to allow the dial to return, then would raised for the next '9' one. about 9 camms to set and made of a thousand cogs.

batteries were tested by feel if the lead was soft you could push you finger in indicating they were about to 'pump out'.

some will now understand what to fault find was and just with a standard meter if you were lucky if it was one that worked. you had to know your stuff and be very observant. just think, at that time 'putting on test' was not an option or even a 'twinkle in a designers eye'.

you had to 'kill' false alarms 1st time around as much for your own pride, or suffer merciless barracking by the following up engineer and collegue's if you 'missed' the fault and it went off again. if you missed to many your vehicle was withdrawn for a week or more, makes you kinda very very careful.

i could write a book on "Arfurs Good Old Days', but i think most of its already in this forum :cry:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

OMFG, I remember fitting the A&G BS 80/1 & 2 with the 772's. A&G used to be based on a small industrial estate in Oldham, just round the corner from KJ Bentleys (another panel manufacturer)

What a wonderful panel... LMFAO

Technical Manager

NSI/LPC Approved Alarm Receiving Centre

South Manchester

I just knew Arfur would be in here.

hello Norman,

nice to see you mate, pull up a chair and trade some stories, i got a spare pipe, slippers and some horse liniment (or was that sh^t) - my eyes are not so good these days sunny! :cry:

:P

regs

alm

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i could write a book on "Arfurs Good Old Days', but i think most of its already in this forum :cry:

regs

alan

hmm - that'll be very thin then or have i missed all the best day's described here..?

:question:

Archived