Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800 Problem

Guest Perfectspace

Guest Perfectspace

Hi

I hope someone can give me advice on potential solutions that I can try....

Bought house 6 yrs ago, and inherited 9800. All worked well until a return from holiday, when I discovered there had been a power cut. Upon powering up, the keypad green light flashed continuously, and after a few key presses (attempted user code) the key pad locked up - beeps in annoyance upon every key press. LED screen showed nothing.

Powered down again, disconnected battery, alarm sounded, re-connected battery, alarm stopped, keypad buzzed once, powered up. No change, except that the green power light on keypad is now OFF.

All thoughts, ideas, help appreciated, as I've recently been made redundant and really don't feel that I can afford an engineer at the moment.

Thanks!

Perfectspace

You sure it was a power cut and not lightening, By the sounds of it you need an engineer to have a look but get them to quote you first on looking at it so you will not get any big bills.

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Hi

I hope someone can give me advice on potential solutions that I can try....

Bought house 6 yrs ago, and inherited 9800. All worked well until a return from holiday, when I discovered there had been a power cut. Upon powering up, the keypad green light flashed continuously, and after a few key presses (attempted user code) the key pad locked up - beeps in annoyance upon every key press. LED screen showed nothing.

Powered down again, disconnected battery, alarm sounded, re-connected battery, alarm stopped, keypad buzzed once, powered up. No change, except that the green power light on keypad is now OFF.

All thoughts, ideas, help appreciated, as I've recently been made redundant and really don't feel that I can afford an engineer at the moment.

Thanks!

Perfectspace

hi Perfectspace,

the green keypad light represents the power condition, constant green all ok, flashing geen means system working on standbye battery, no green o' dear - run.

if red leds show 'SR' then you need to reset the panel, now it may be engineer reset so will require an engineer but may simply require a correct code, press 'clear' and try again. but equally may be an open tamper of blown battery (bF shown), so best you get an engineer to check, correct and restore your security.

we can never advise you to open the controls yourself, as we have no idea what dangers lurk inside from badly wired mains to an insecure battery.

give your town location i'm ure one of us is nearby

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Bought house 6 yrs ago, and inherited 9800. All worked well until a return from holiday, when I discovered there had been a power cut. Upon powering up, the keypad green light flashed continuously

It's not had a battery in at least 6 years i would say the battery is ded. Get it replaced and serviced and all should be ok.

9800's are rock solid like all the early scantronics if looked after.

Agreed, solid panels.

As advised above if you dont know the score keep the lid on and get a local engineer.

It should be possible to "revive" this panel and for you to enjoy a long life from it.

cheers

Guest Perfectspace

Hi People

Your advice is really appreciated. Thank you.

Whilst waiting for replies to my post, I managed to find a company (recommended and accredited) who would send someone out without a 'call out charge' to give me some advice face to face.

However, rather disappointingly, the advice was completely contradictory to your advice posted here above. The engineer was only interested in ripping out the old system and selling me a new one for

Hi People

Your advice is really appreciated. Thank you.

Whilst waiting for replies to my post, I managed to find a company (recommended and accredited) who would send someone out without a 'call out charge' to give me some advice face to face.

However, rather disappointingly, the advice was completely contradictory to your advice posted here above. The engineer was only interested in ripping out the old system and selling me a new one for

I agree with lurch, worked with scantronics and all I can say is rock solid, should have 0 problems with 'em but it's intelligent enough to point you straight to the problem if there is one. I hate people that say oh wait we'll come out have a look - no charge then procede to say oh this old hat, can't fix this at all sir need a whole new one that will be

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Guest Perfectspace

It's a little easy to say 'get a proper engineer, not a salesman' etc. The problem is two fold, I need to try and avoid expense at the moment, and also, who are the good guys anyway?! The chap I had round is accredited and came recommended! But his advice, without checking the system over, was contrary to what I've heard here....

I just can't afford to be spending lots of money on a repair. I really would like to know if I can go some way to fixing the problem myself. Perhaps someone can help?

Having obtained a new battery, I have now powered down, changed battery, (alarm sounds) powered up. But the green light on the keypad has not returned (although the keypad seems to be alive - it beeps upon keypress a few times, but then starts to make an error sound.) The LED is also still blank.

Any further ideas, possible solutions. Would refreshing the NVM make any difference?

With thanks.

Would refreshing the NVM make any difference?

Try a week in Barbados :lol:

Clearly you dont know what you are doing! you are guessing at what might or might not be the problem.

If you change the system, yes it will cost you money! If you call an engineer in to fix the system, yes it will cost you money ! Trying to fix it yourself may also cost you money!

The best advice is get an engineer to call and fix it, if explain exactly what you want on the phone and accertaining if a) the company is familiar with the panel and B) will they be prepared to effect a a repair.

The simplest way to avoid expense is to do nothing and hope nothing else goes wrong!

You could also fix the problem if you new what was wrong, but you dont so you need an engineer to call.

Archived