Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800 Problem

Guest Perfectspace

The problem is two fold, I need to try and avoid expense at the moment, and also, who are the good guys anyway?!

The only way to not spend money is to not fix the alarm.

The good engineers are around somewhere. Where are you? Maybe we can find you an engineer.

Guest Perfectspace

Thanks for all your replies, including helpful PM's.

For future reference for DIYers, here's what I have done this afternoon.

Just changing the battery didn't make a difference, so I decided to give clearing the NVM (non-volatile memory) a go, as the forum responses here indicated that the board was 'rock solid', and I couldn't see that it would make much difference if it didn't work.

My advice to anyone else is the same as above. If you're not sure of what you're doing, you'll have to get an engineer. I was fairly sure, but obviously if I'd had an accident I would have only had myself to blame. It's the same with any DIY.... :!:

However, it did work. The NVM reset. Power was restored. I have re-programmed the whole system. Took an hour or so to get it all back to how it was. Now all working nicely. :)

Thanks again for all your responses and advice. Very much appreciated.

Hehehehe a hour, what about the days it wasnt working :P

The time taken on here :(

The effort put into this episode :gimme:

But glad we were of assistsance ;)

cheers

Guest RICHL
I agree with lurch, worked with scantronics and all I can say is rock solid, should have 0 problems with 'em but it's intelligent enough to point you straight to the problem if there is one. I hate people that say oh wait we'll come out have a look - no charge then procede to say oh this old hat, can't fix this at all sir need a whole new one that will be

I disagree:

If you are just going to survey a possible takeover you cant open the lid on a 9800 - not like you can with lesser panels. You have to judge the install on everything you can see in the short amount of time you are on site - your not getting paid for this remember.

I suspect in this case the install had other issues which the surveyer noticed through his experience but did not highlight to the client, possibly poor quality detection, sounders or wiring even dodgy mains connection, or was likely to have been a call out liability if taken over for maintenance. Just because it was a 9800 does not mean it was a good install.

Or he may even have sussed that this client was not wanting a maintenance contract, and just wanted to walk away.

Rich, that is also very true, if it's not been a good install in 1st place.

If it's a takeover - you take one look at it and wanna be over a mile away as soon as possible!

If the survayor didn't disclose everything I believe you should be able to "have a quite word with the 'em" because I believe he's MEANT to write down EVERYTHING these days about the property or am I only thinking of the good ones. As for dodgy wiring is a potential hazard and well if it's proven then erm what can I say some people are for the high jump ;)

All in all it's a load of If's and buts to be considered.

Perfectspace - Glad you got it all sorted out and reprogrammed.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived