Security Installer Community

Dsc Alarm

Jeff C

I am having an extension built, and despite talking to a few security companies, am not confident that they would give me the system that I want. Most seem to want to sell me a particular model, which I assume has highest profit margins, that only cover some of the features I want.

I have found a Canadian company, DSC. They offer a Wired alarm system capable of having up to 32 channels, which can also have 32 wireless channels.

Has anyone heard of DSC? Does anyone have any opinions of their powerseries products?

Because I cant get an installer to do what I want, I think I am going to do it DIY.

Should I be fitting contacts on every opening window/door?

Will shock sensors sense when a window is opened fully, even if it is already left open slightly?

Should both shock sensors & contacts be fitted to the windows?

Thanks.

Because I cant get an installer to do what I want, I think I am going to do it DIY.

:hmm:

I'd imagine your installer would know how to fit detectors.

What are your issues with the installers? Might just be you've got the wrong installers out to look at the job.

I am having an extension built, and despite talking to a few security companies, am not confident that they would give me the system that I want. Most seem to want to sell me a particular model, which I assume has highest profit margins, that only cover some of the features I want.

I have found a Canadian company, DSC. They offer a Wired alarm system capable of having up to 32 channels, which can also have 32 wireless channels.

Most companies use particular control panels for many reasons, such as it covers most situations and its easier for all employees to be conversant with one panel than lots of different panels

Has anyone heard of DSC? Does anyone have any opinions of their powerseries products?

Yes & its not a common panel in this country but some companies use it.

Maybe what you want isnt the best solution to your problems, why do you think your prospective installers wont do what you want?

Should I be fitting contacts on every opening window/door?

No not really, why would you want/need to?

Will shock sensors sense when a window is opened fully, even if it is already left open slightly?

Most certainly not!

Should both shock sensors & contacts be fitted to the windows?

It would depend on the circumstances

Thanks.

Thanks.

DSC are great panels, but not like by many UK installers :hmm:

The new Prox keypad (which looks better than the old keypad) and wireless kit are due out in the next few months. :yes:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Thanks.

all of the coldshire is using dsc panels.. :lol:

maybe you post your location - it might be so that some of trade members from here happen to be next to you..

that only cover some of the features I want.

could you tell us what particular features you like in dsc panel that other panels don't support..?

i haven't found out that dsc would be that featurefull that you couldn't make the same with other panels..

The only good thing about DSC in my opinion is their wireless kit. You never get any trouble from it and the range that it works at it is outstanding. Also the facility of being able to wire up to 4 PIRs all on seperate zones. Things it lacks is being able to put a zone on soak test and lots and lots of other things that for example the Texecom Premier series can do. This is why we dont fit them anymore plus our wholesalers dont stock them anymore and every panel you fit is making Tyco richer ;) British Gas fit these panels but dont expect them to a nice job (from what I have seen), the last one I went to was plugged into a socket with a 3-pin plug!

Trade Member

Guest rjbsec
British Gas fit these panels but dont expect them to a nice job (from what I have seen), the last one I went to was plugged into a socket with a 3-pin plug!

Had exactly the same thing on an Initial takeover on an industrial estate, thought it was the fridge at first!

The only good thing about DSC in my opinion is their wireless kit. You never get any trouble from it and the range that it works at it is outstanding.

to be exact - if you turn off RF jamming it looks like trouble free until the frequency is jammed (with ******** for an example..)

Also the facility of being able to wire up to 4 PIRs all on seperate zones.

i quess you mean 585(or variant like 580) where as Jeff C meant 832 instead (8 zones on motherboard)

Things it lacks is being able to put a zone on soak test

necessity of the soak test seems to be argueable :whistle:

and lots and lots of other things that for example the Texecom Premier series can do.

not sure what "things" you mean but i bow to your knowledge on this :yes:

This is why we dont fit them anymore

also i don't think that you could not live without those extras texecom provides and dsc doesn't

plus our wholesalers dont stock them anymore and every panel you fit is making Tyco richer ;)

QFA

British Gas fit these panels but dont expect them to a nice job (from what I have seen), the last one I went to was plugged into a socket with a 3-pin plug!

:mfr_omg:

yeh you can wire 4 of the six cores as one side of the NC relay on four seperate zones, the 0V is then wired to the other side of the NC relay the otherside of the double end of line resistor and one for the 12V+. So you could actually have just one PIR running off of 3 cores fully protected! Thats on both the 608 and 832.

yeh the premier is a lot more versatile, different chime tones, multiple part sets, a banner on the keypad, bigger buttons (ladies with long finger nails cant work the DSC keypads) plus the main advantage is that you can plug on a standard extension speaker without having to use one of those stupid hi/lo things! You dont get sound bombs ticking with the small amount of voltage that is across its power thats just enough to make it sound slightly. The customer doesnt get arsey that you dont give him the key for his panel with a premier aswell! Plus all the smoke alarms that you have to use with it are normally open. I could go on and on but thats why we dont use them anymore! Oh and I dont think they have double knock either! and you cant change the keypads live without it throwing a wobbly! and you have to broadcast zone labels to all the keypads! how backwards!!!!!! Plus I get two zones in my keypad now rather than just one!

Trade Member

yeh you can wire 4 of the six cores as one side of the NC relay on four seperate zones, the 0V is then wired to the other side of the NC relay the otherside of the double end of line resistor and one for the 12V+. So you could actually have just one PIR running off of 3 cores fully protected! Thats on both the 608 and 832.

yeh the premier is a lot more versatile, different chime tones, multiple part sets, a banner on the keypad, bigger buttons (ladies with long finger nails cant work the DSC keypads) plus the main advantage is that you can plug on a standard extension speaker without having to use one of those stupid hi/lo things! You dont get sound bombs ticking with the small amount of voltage that is across its power thats just enough to make it sound slightly. The customer doesnt get arsey that you dont give him the key for his panel with a premier aswell! Plus all the smoke alarms that you have to use with it are normally open. I could go on and on but thats why we dont use them anymore! Oh and I dont think they have double knock either! and you cant change the keypads live without it throwing a wobbly! and you have to broadcast zone labels to all the keypads! how backwards!!!!!! Plus I get two zones in my keypad now rather than just one!

Sounds like the old commet LP pirs from DA

Archived