Security Installer Community

Dsc Alarm

Jeff C

yeh you can wire 4 of the six cores as one side of the NC relay on four seperate zones, the 0V is then wired to the other side of the NC relay the otherside of the double end of line resistor and one for the 12V+. So you could actually have just one PIR running off of 3 cores fully protected! Thats on both the 608 and 832.

Sounds like the NSIN way of doing things. Looping the supply negative across the relay in the PIR and sending it back to the panel on 1 core. When the relay shuts it holds the zone in negative logic, relay opens and you get an alarm condition. Same for the tamper only with the positive supply. I'm fairly sure it's not allowed either, unless I'm missing something. Sounds like a //.B.W.F.// to fault find too...

Trade Member

So you could actually have just one PIR running off of 3 cores fully protected!

bodge like this with any eol circuit if you wish................... (yes i've done it) :no:

Sounds like the old commet LP pirs from DA

peardrops to that mate

yeh you can wire 4 of the six cores as one side of the NC relay on four seperate zones, the 0V is then wired to the other side of the NC relay the otherside of the double end of line resistor and one for the 12V+. So you could actually have just one PIR running off of 3 cores fully protected! Thats on both the 608 and 832.

i bet it works with any panel but heard that it is bodging.. thou if i am running low on cores that's the trick.. :yes:

yeh the premier is a lot more versatile, different chime tones, multiple part sets, a banner on the keypad, bigger buttons (ladies with long finger nails cant work the DSC keypads) plus the main advantage is that you can plug on a standard extension speaker without having to use one of those stupid hi/lo things! You dont get sound bombs ticking with the small amount of voltage that is across its power thats just enough to make it sound slightly. The customer doesnt get arsey that you dont give him the key for his panel with a premier aswell!

good points - especially the last one. screwing helps a lot (in case your customer is good looking red head..)

Plus all the smoke alarms that you have to use with it are normally open.

that is solvable.. just use some other 24h zone type and program it with pulsed bell..

I could go on and on but thats why we dont use them anymore! Oh and I dont think they have double knock either! and you cant change the keypads live without it throwing a wobbly! and you have to broadcast zone labels to all the keypads! how backwards!!!!!! Plus I get two zones in my keypad now rather than just one!

broadcasting zone labels is absolutely :ranting: .. can't use UDL for that... besides keypad zones on dsc support only EOL not DEOL..

Sounds like the NSIN way of doing things. Looping the supply negative across the relay in the PIR and sending it back to the panel on 1 core. When the relay shuts it holds the zone in negative logic, relay opens and you get an alarm condition.

usualy supply negative and zone/cct common are galvanically connected --> in practise doesn't matter if you use supply negative or common at the panel end. thou in practise if you use supply negative at the PIR end you'r digging blood from your nose due to current flow and negative voltage drop in the core..

haven't got in to the trouble when using dedicated common core for multiple zones/ccts..

Same for the tamper only with the positive supply. I'm fairly sure it's not allowed either, unless I'm missing something. Sounds like a //.B.W.F.// to fault find too...

normal fault finding rules apply.. only trouble may arise when you treat it as bodging and expect two wires per cct...

all of the coldshire is using dsc panels.. :lol:

maybe you post your location - it might be so that some of trade members from here happen to be next to you..

could you tell us what particular features you like in dsc panel that other panels don't support..?

i haven't found out that dsc would be that featurefull that you couldn't make the same with other panels..

I live in Wirral. Post code CH63 9HX.

I would be happy for any installers here in my area to come and have a look at the job. As there is no plasterboard in 50% of my house at the moment, I need the initial wiring done in the next 2 weeks.

The particular features that I like are the wired/wireless combination. I like the remote keyfob that can be used to arm disarm the alarm. We use a wireless system now, and like having the keyfob instead of needed to set the system from a keypad. I also want a wired system initially but might add wireless sensors later on.

Ok. I have been looking at the Texicom Premier 24 control panel. It looks very interesting.

although I will lose my wireless keyfobs, it does have the keyfobs for disarming the system quickly and easily.

Also, I like the look of their software. Will I be able to buy that, or is it restricted to trade only? I really want to be able to program my alarm via my laptop.

I also like their polished flush mount keypads.

I dont have to decide yet on the control panel though.

What I do need to decide on now, is the location of sensors.

Here is my plan.

1 PIR in every required room, and 1 in each of my 2 sheds.

1 window contact on every opening window/door that can be climbed through.

1 vibration sensor on every window/door frame.

1 glass break sensor in my conservatory

3 keypads near the front/back doors, and upstairs near the bedrooms.

1 heat sensor in the kitchen.

4 smoke detectors in the hall, utility, lounge, and near the bedrooms.

Does that sound reasonable?

I have just ordered more cable (100m of 6 core, and 200m of 4 core alarm cable of ebay) (

Ok. I have been looking at the Texicom Premier 24 control panel. It looks very interesting.

although I will lose my wireless keyfobs, it does have the keyfobs for disarming the system quickly and easily.

no you won't

Also, I like the look of their software. Will I be able to buy that, or is it restricted to trade only? I really want to be able to program my alarm via my laptop.

Yep daft enough to sell you anything

I also like their polished flush mount keypads.

I dont have to decide yet on the control panel though.

You need more than 24 zones

What I do need to decide on now, is the location of sensors.

Here is my plan.

1 PIR in every required room, and 1 in each of my 2 sheds.

1 window contact on every opening window/door that can be climbed through.

1 vibration sensor on every window/door frame.

1 glass break sensor in my conservatory

3 keypads near the front/back doors, and upstairs near the bedrooms.

1 heat sensor in the kitchen.

4 smoke detectors in the hall, utility, lounge, and near the bedrooms.

Does that sound reasonable?

Current?? I guess does not figure in your "design"

I have just ordered more cable (100m of 6 core, and 200m of 4 core alarm cable of ebay) (

Archived