Security Installer Community

Rented Property

Smart Electrics

• 2 months later...

I think it is law now to show new tennants a copy of the gas and electric certs to show they have been tested and it has to be done every 12 months or theres a chance they could be eating porridge for a few years.

cheers

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Guest reaper30
I cant remember but is it illegal to have unswitched power sockets in a rented property. Also I thought they had to have some kind of RCD protection at the DB atleast if it is the old wire fuse type. Any advice would be good. :hmm:

What makes you think it may be illegal? bs7671 is just a guide and I do not know of any requirements that say that the sockets must be switched in a rented property (I could be wrong :hmm: ).

As for the rcd protection, will the sockets be supplying any outdoor equipment? It is a requirement that the sockets will need supplementary protection if they will be used to supply outside, if not, then as long as the circuit tests fine, and the Zs conforms to bs7671 then it will meet the required disconnection time and will be safe :)

regards

reaper

Just had my rented property tested for gas and leckky, no mention of stuff like that he did his PAT tests in 30 mins and left. All signed off okies.

I pointed out a problem he smiled and left, good thing i am a friend of the landlord ( lady as it happens and i do some work for her to offset the rent at times, all jokes i have heard b4, so dont waste your limited typing skills to have fun :D)

End of the day a switch is defined as a device that cuts the power to another device.

Try this one for size, A key is a device that opens a lock............So a crowbar is in fact a key, or your size 10 as you boot the door in.

Now shall we turn to PDD regs?

:) BS 7671 (16th edition regs 'as amended') is THE BIBLE for electrical wiring, you have to be a time served electrician with a pass in the 16th edition regs to be able to even touch an installation, and you have to pass another exam in 'testing and inspection' to be able to issue a certificate that the installation is safe. :rolleyes:

:) BS 7671 (16th edition regs 'as amended') is THE BIBLE for electrical wiring, you have to be a time served electrician with a pass in the 16th edition regs to be able to even touch an installation,

not true, can you quote the us the reg????? Don't forget the regulations are non-statutory but can be used in a court of law injury / kill someone or livestock or damage property ect... if you can not produce the correct paper work to prove your work was install & tested properly you may find your self held responsible for someone else

:) BS 7671 (16th edition regs 'as amended') is THE BIBLE for electrical wiring, you have to be a time served electrician with a pass in the 16th edition regs to be able to even touch an installation,

No you don't. Anyone can touch many parts of many parts of many installations. There are certain parts that can't be touched unless you are a member of one of the inspectorates participating in the domestic installer scheme.

and you have to pass another exam in 'testing and inspection' to be able to issue a certificate that the installation is safe. :rolleyes:

See above.

I've just come up against this one .... I have a really small one bedroom house that I rent out to the council, which is paying my mortgage whilst still living at home with my parents. I'm hoping to move in a years time when I can afford it BUT .... they have just had a change of tennant and the electrics have all been re-accessed.

I have to stump up

Trade Member

Archived