Security Installer Community

Rented Property

Smart Electrics

What makes you think it may be illegal? bs7671 is just a guide and I do not know of any requirements that say that the sockets must be switched in a rented property (I could be wrong :hmm: ).

As for the rcd protection, will the sockets be supplying any outdoor equipment? It is a requirement that the sockets will need supplementary protection if they will be used to supply outside, if not, then as long as the circuit tests fine, and the Zs conforms to bs7671 then it will meet the required disconnection time and will be safe :)

regards

reaper

As we all know rented property's come under a totally different set of guides and rules. the comment was not aimed at BS7671 nor 16th edition. Rented accommodation has its own set of guides like installation of smoke detectors either batt or mains operated. I did not know if the above came into the same set of guides. Probably using illegal was the wrong phrase. :hmm:

Guest reaper30
They also said that one of the sockets didnt have a switch but they just had to warn me about it and that is was only a grade 6 or 7 fault and that nothing had to be done about it but it was just mentioned on the electrical check.

Grade 6 or 7? In my experience there is only 4 code of fault, 1,2,3,4.

:) BS 7671 (16th edition regs 'as amended') is THE BIBLE for electrical wiring, you have to be a time served electrician with a pass in the 16th edition regs to be able to even touch an installation, and you have to pass another exam in 'testing and inspection' to be able to issue a certificate that the installation is safe. :rolleyes:

Competent persons comes to mind as per guidance note 3.

No you don't. Anyone can touch many parts of many parts of many installations. There are certain parts that can't be touched unless you are a member of one of the inspectorates participating in the domestic installer scheme.

Not true, as long as you inform the labc that you are about to commence work on a domestic dwelling and the work you are doing is notifiable then you do not need to be a member pf the part p or any other domestic installer scheme.

Try this for size then, i have no RCD protected circuits in my rented property, all earth bonding is to water pipes.

Outside the local water board is replacing the metal pipes with plastic ones.

I have a A4 sheet of paper handed to myself by a rep of said water board saying my electrics may now not be up to standard.

Shall I inform the landlords who have several hundred properties in this area about this, or just change the consumer unit for a RCD protected one, get some 16mm earthing and a long rod and drill a deep hole into the ground.

Or refuse topay rent till its tested after the works, considering this yrs PAT testing was done earlier this month.

Best of all i`ll go to the landlady aka owner of all the above mentioned properties and give her the letter.

Or buy loads of gerbils, a large wheel and bundles of magnets. :P

cheers

Guest reaper30
Try this for size then, i have no RCD protected circuits in my rented property, all earth bonding is to water pipes.

Outside the local water board is replacing the metal pipes with plastic ones.

I have a A4 sheet of paper handed to myself by a rep of said water board saying my electrics may now not be up to standard.

Shall I inform the landlords who have several hundred properties in this area about this, or just change the consumer unit for a RCD protected one, get some 16mm earthing and a long rod and drill a deep hole into the ground.

Or refuse topay rent till its tested after the works, considering this yrs PAT testing was done earlier this month.

Best of all i`ll go to the landlady aka owner of all the above mentioned properties and give her the letter.

Or buy loads of gerbils, a large wheel and bundles of magnets. :P

cheers

:new_rofl: I am sure the landlords are aware of the situation as they have several hundred properties in the area.

On the subject of rcd, they say your rented property is not up to standard because of the lack of rcd protected circuits. Do you know the reason for this?

I have seen this happening in a few places, is your property a house or a flat? if a flat is it a ground floor flat?

On the paperwork part, pass the paperwork onto the landlord, you shouldn't have had the paperwork because it should have been the landlord who ordered the inspection. :eekout:

regards

reaper

:new_rofl: I am sure the landlords are aware of the situation as they have several hundred properties in the area.

On the subject of rcd, they say your rented property is not up to standard because of the lack of rcd protected circuits. Do you know the reason for this?

I have seen this happening in a few places, is your property a house or a flat? if a flat is it a ground floor flat?

On the paperwork part, pass the paperwork onto the landlord, you shouldn't have had the paperwork because it should have been the landlord who ordered the inspection. :eekout:

regards

reaper

To reply,

I never mentioned the property not being up to standard.

Never seen the gas and leccky certs.

A4 sheet was addressed to myself as i pay the water rates direct, it was mentioned to pass onto a landlord if ness.

Suggest you read the post then comment :whistle:

Guest reaper30
To reply,

I never mentioned the property not being up to standard.

Never seen the gas and leccky certs.

A4 sheet was addressed to myself as i pay the water rates direct, it was mentioned to pass onto a landlord if ness.

Suggest you read the post then comment :whistle:

In which case after stating faults with your property, and saying the water board had handed you a piece of paper stating it MAY not be up to standard, you are giving the impression that your property had been inspected.

I was just going to offer advice on the subject, as obviously the post reads misleadingly or to me anyway, and for which I will apologise so take your //.B.W.F.// out your hands and chill, its sat night so grab a beer! :yes:

In which case after stating faults with your property, and saying the water board had handed you a piece of paper stating it MAY not be up to standard, you are giving the impression that your property had been inspected.

I was just going to offer advice on the subject, as obviously the post reads misleadingly or to me anyway, and for which I will apologise so take your //.B.W.F.// out your hands and chill, its sat night so grab a beer! :yes:

Yes just been tested, then i get notification from water company about possible difficulties?

But you state i have faults, is that because of no RCD protection, as others state here there is no requirements for RCD`s.

Or the lack of Earth bonding after the metal pipes have been removed?

Chill, i need to cool this heats killin me, but keep up the discussion. This is a killer on here and i want to see if everyone will argue as per or at last agree on some of the regs, which we all know are guidelines. Unless you read Part P and the definition of using a RCD for out doors.

Grabs beer and sits back :P

Or the lack of Earth bonding after the metal pipes have been removed?

What?

your gas & water if conductive requires equipontential bonding where it enters your property to your installs main earth.

you water main should no be the installs earth.

Deeper and deeper then, gas is in polypipe or equil, now water is.

Christ i am only saying it as its happening, so no more metal pipes, no Earth rod and no RCD protected distribution board.

Didnt realise this was a topic to have a row over, oops yes i did :P .

Next round

Ding Ding

cheers

And Mr Happy, you misread this too. Its about my rented property not a install. And equipotential means sod all now if run in polypipe as i have found out, apparantly there is no need to cross bond bathrooms if they fall into another zone.

"puts gumshield in" :P

Deeper and deeper then, gas is in polypipe or equil, now water is.

was you expecting cast iron?

Christ i am only saying it as its happening, so no more metal pipes, no Earth rod and no RCD protected distribution board.

so are you earthed to the suppliers incoming?

Didnt realise this was a topic to have a row over, oops yes i did :P .

every topic is one to row on ;)

And Mr Happy, you misread this too. Its about my rented property not a install. And equipotential means sod all now if run in polypipe as i have found out,

nope, i'am quite bright for a //.B.W.F.//............... (it won't let me call myself a re tard)

the metal services should be bonded to your supplies earth are you saying they've removed the bonding from the metal pipe work??

unless the install has not been touched since mr faraday did it as private cash in hand weekend job i doubt the water supply is electrical installs means of earthing

Archived