Security Installer Community

City & Guilds 1851 In Intruder Alarm Installation

antinode

In my day as an apprentice we had to do it and pass to kept on. Mind you I did have a year of electronics behind me first. Not many employers ask for them but agencies love it if you have them. Although it does stand you good with the basics there is nothing that beats learning on the job at 3 in the morning.

Totaly Agree with you on this one.

Scary, Scarier, Scariest????

Bulls**t. What qualifications do you have that make you a better engineer than someone without? Just because someone has a qualification doesn't neccessarily mean that they will be any good in the field.

So OK, maybe Electronic Alarms won't actually take on anybody as everyone will have to go through the usual security screening but they will give keen people a chance to train in a new career.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Guest rjbsec
What qualifications do you have that make you a better engineer than someone without?
That isn't the issue - the issue is proven ability coupled with licensing to provide a more accountable aspect to the electronic security industry.

As I said before, anyone can get "on-the-job" qualifications today - why chose not to?

Nobody needs a license to install security systems or service them. And why should they? Its hardly a profession posing risks such as a Gas Engineers'.

Lets be realistic, we're Alarm Engineers not Airline Pilots.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Guest rjbsec
Nobody needs a license to install security systems or service them. And why should they? Its hardly a profession posing risks such as a Gas Engineers'.

I disagree, many external forces are in favour of licensing within the security industry as has already been seen in the Guarding Sector and as for posing risks, we certainly deal with risks every day - risks to other people's property.

Why would anyone be afraid of being qualified and licensed?

Not at the moment, but it's coming :yes:

Private Security Legislation

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

So OK, maybe Electronic Alarms won't actually take on anybody as everyone will have to go through the usual security screening but they will give keen people a chance to train in a new career.
I read your first mention of Electronic Alarms and my first thought was OMG i am so pleased people dont say things like this about my company. It does however answer a lot of questions.

Jef

Customers!

Nobody needs a license to install security systems or service them. And why should they?

Maybe that explains why some trade members are asking how to do some of the most fundamental basic's :hmm:

Archived