Security Installer Community

City & Guilds 1851 In Intruder Alarm Installation

antinode

I'm thinking of doing this at night school at college to make myself more emplyable as I'm having a hard time convincing people I can do the job due to lack of on the job experience, even working free on a trial basis does'nt seem to persuade people. I'm looking mainly for opinions from employers. Would you hold someone who had a C&G in intruder alarms in higher regard than someone that did'nt? Any opinions from other people are welcome too.

Thanks.

Trade Member

how long have you been installing

About 4 months, with 1, 2 or 3 installs per week depending, domestic, commerical and industrial with a few upgrades inbetween. Loads of servicing. Done about 8 installs myself in the past 3 or 4 months, all domestic.

Trade Member

i would say that it could only be a move for the best. I have a friend who runs a night school collage class and he has a mix of guys from engineers with jobs to new lads looking at moving into the industry.

We have started to do a small test with a demo bord in the office when we interview to help work out the standard of the person

the industry is crying out for engineers what area are you in

Mark Smith, Director, S M Fire & Security Ltd, Bradford

i would say that it could only be a move for the best. I have a friend who runs a night school collage class and he has a mix of guys from engineers with jobs to new lads looking at moving into the industry.

We have started to do a small test with a demo bord in the office when we interview to help work out the standard of the person

the industry is crying out for engineers what area are you in

I like the idea of the test board. IMO it's one of the only fair ways of assessing who can do the job.

I am based in Wigan, which is in the middle of Liverpool, Manchester, Warrington and Preston.

Trade Member

Guest rjbsec

I agree the C&G qualification would be a very worthwhile step to take as you are basically just starting out in the industry.

I don't knopw about alarm quals and I don't know a single engineer who has them. Can't do any harm though. I can't understand why your having so much trouble as most companys are crying out for engineers.

You could always try Electronic Alarms in Manchester www.electronicalarmsukltd.co.uk

A small family run business but NSI gold with plenty of customers. The owner is Sultan. They will literally take on anyone. I started with them after doing accounts years ago and the senior engineer was an ex milkman.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

I don't knopw about alarm quals and I don't know a single engineer who has them. Can't do any harm though. I can't understand why your having so much trouble as most companys are crying out for engineers.

You could always try Electronic Alarms in Manchester www.electronicalarmsukltd.co.uk

A small family run business but NSI gold with plenty of customers. The owner is Sultan. They will literally take on anyone. I started with them after doing accounts years ago and the senior engineer was an ex milkman.

Thanks Warwick.

They do appear to be looking for a trainee, so I will give them a ring on Monday, although as they have a keyholding service, the distance between my house and the place might be a problem (20 minute response and all that) They're on the otherside of Manchester aswell, which might be problem if the traffic's gonna be bad etc.

cheers

Trade Member

Archived