Security Installer Community

Telephone Wiring Advice Needed

My Bosch Abacus Evolution is capable of sending sms messages. The documentation is really vague on this subject. I could do with some help...

I need to connect the panel to the telephone line. The documentation does not describe this at all. All I have is the board schematic which labels the connectors: A, B A1, B1 and E. Can anyone tell me how to connect a telephone cable to these?

Ian

A and B are the tel lin connections.

A 1 and B1 are for the rest of the propertys phones so that if the alarm wants the line it can disconnect other phones that may be in use.

E is earth and will need to be connected to mains earth with at least 1mm cable.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

A 1 and B1 are for the rest of the propertys phones so that if the alarm wants the line it can disconnect other phones that may be in use.

So if i'm understanding you correctly, the panel is the only device plugged into my incoming phone socket, and my house phone system is plugged into the panel? I wonder how my broadband service will cope with this.

Ian

Broadband will cause problems to your alarm, thats why companies advise that the alarm be connected to a dedicated incoming calls barred line. ie if your line is in use then it cant dial out can it?

But you can connect the line in parralel and it 'should' work.... but ymmv

But you can connect the line in parralel and it 'should' work.... but ymmv

I would think that connecting in parallel would be ok. If the line is in use, that would mean that someone is in the house and there is no need to dial out. If a clever thief got hold of my telephone number and blocked my line with an incoming call, the panel wouldn't be able to clear this by cutting off my internal phones (Which would not be in use anyway).

So getting back to the connections... I only need to worry about the A, B and E connectors. This is where i'm short of experience. I know that the incoming wire into my house is only 2 wires, but when it leaves the incoming socket there are always 2 twisted pairs. So how do I make the connection? Or are you saying that I should go into the incoming socket and connect in parallel across the incoming 2 wires. Is there any polarity to worry about?

I can imagine though that I should have a microfilter between the panel and the phone line. The panel might degrade my broadband signal otherwise.

Ian

I would think that connecting in parallel would be ok. If the line is in use, that would mean that someone is in the house and there is no need to dial out. If a clever thief got hold of my telephone number and blocked my line with an incoming call, the panel wouldn't be able to clear this by cutting off my internal phones (Which would not be in use anyway).
Are there phones in your house that you can pick up?

You will need a bb filter yes.

Are there phones in your house that you can pick up?

Sorry I don't understand the question. I assume you are not asking me if I can physically pick them them up. The alarm panel is right over the top of the incoming BT socket if that's any help.

Archived