Security Installer Community

Optima Xm Maintenance And Repair

Guest Guest_Suzanne_*

Guest Guest_Suzanne_*

Hi there,

Have been looking at your site as a guest, and am very impressed with your knowledge on all things 'alarms', and wondered if any of you could send some of your good advice my way

I'm no expert myself, so I'll explain my probel in as simple terms as possible.

We have had an Optima XM alarm for about 10 years now, and I'm ashamed to admit it has only ever been serviced once. We have never experienced any problems with it until yesterday.

Because of a burnt out cable located between mine and next doors property, we lost electricity for 9 hours yesterday.

During this time the alarm just had the green light on (so I assumed it was still powered up, but on the battery), no other lights were present.

The electricity company managed to get the power back on at 12 midnight last night, but before the power came through fully there were surges (I assume whilst it was powering up fully to reach all the houses affected). Every time there was a surge, the alarm outside would go off, and then stop when the surge was completed.

By the time the electricity was back on fully, the alarm did not start ringing but the display pannel had all the led indicators lit.

I have tried all the buttons (including the number keypad) and it all seems to be dead. When I switch the mains electricity off, the main power light on the keypad does go off, but all the other lights stay on.

I'm not sure what has happened,but I am keen to get it sorted. The alarm shop we bought the alarm from has since been knocked down, and I'm unsure whether there is anything I can do to resolve, or if there was anyone in the Manchester area you could recomend who could sort this for me??

Hope somebody can advise

Thanks Suzanne :)

The old Optimas are notorious for locking up after a power outage.

It will need downpowering and repowering to clear the fault, but you may then also find that the system has reset to factory default programming.

I would suggest you call out an engineer to do this for you, it's way past due a service anyway.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest Guest
Suzanne

There are lots of installers in your area who frequent this site. You posted your message at 7.20. If you check again in a couple of hours, you will robably find someone who can service your alarm has posted his details on this thread. Or send me a personal message with your details and I will ask someone suitable to contact you

Paul

Many thanks for your advice and solutions. I just really needed to know if there is anything I need to do to resolve (I think the answer to that is a definite no) and if anyone could recommend somebody.

I'll check back later.

Many thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Im Based in the manchester area and can offer you a service for your system if you require.

You can contact me on 07731 825895

cheers

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have an Optima XM system in my home, which to my embarassment I must admit has never been serviced in its' 11 years of existence.

Once or twice recently it's gone off without apparent cause and I realise that the time has come for me to get it serviced and establish a maintenance contract.

So..... I am looking for a quality engineer who operates in the Warrington area. One who will not automatically try to sell me a whole new system!

Any offers, please?

I have a old optima i see once every 5 yrs or so, its always a mains /battery fault but the client refuses to upgrade. Not to worry it works but does need a service and a new battery.

You have seen what happens, so a service with a smile will solve your problems.

cheers

Archived