Security Installer Community

Geovision Problem

Guest intikab

This is why I would never install anything pc based, only dedicated DVRs, you dont have all the grief associated with incompatible software or big brother Microsoft!!!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

This is why I would never install anything pc based, only dedicated DVRs, you dont have all the grief associated with incompatible software or big brother Microsoft!!!

go linux based - perhaps not so visually pretty but very stable, and difficult to hack too :)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest TFLInstaller

:)

Should be able to just rerun the driver install for the card, i have installed 4 of these systems on new and existing hardware.

Fine as long as no internet security programs like Norton, Anti Virus & Firewalls are ok to use with this but Norton just kills the system, also check your IE settings as it may be that that is stopping the DLL downloading & installing

:)

Guest disstressed

just did a system works fine- with the following set up properly

1. you must either partition your hard drive for your operationg system,or install an extra hard drive for the recordings.if you don't windows will run like a snail.

2. your motherboard must have the nvidia chipset and the video card as well

3.make sure you have a solid reliable router(if its a shared connection)-try lynksys hard wired type not wi-fi, i used others they couldn't handle the traffic.

4. do not forget to port forward your router and set up your router firewall.

5. i've also got norton firewall installed as well- you must reserve your network port setting for your

system in here as well as the router (the port reference numbers are in the rear of your geovision install manual), just make sure you enable them all through your router and firewalls

6. directdraw overlay message appears when your video card cannot cope with the imagery or you have not selected it in the options tab of the geovision main system.

7. remove all other software from the machine you'r using- auto updates in windows must be switched off as well as other programme updates.

8.set up your passwords for remote connection of the geovision system-just don't give them admin rights

9.on the cctv pc, make sure you have loaded all the software for remote viewing-i.e webcam,tcp/ip and then select them for monitoring.you should see icons on the tool bar when software is running

10.if you think your version 7 software is suspect, go to "i-view camera" web site they have a geovision software download page. then load version 6 on top of your version 7 programme- it runs more stable apparently

the trick is to have someone at the machine after you set it up- just in case

good luck!!!! :yes:

Guest disstressed

try this

1. partition your hard drive or install 2nd for the recordings

2. install a router for your shared network i suggest" lynksys "the hard wired version not wi fi- i've used others but they crash due to the traffic. lynksys is very stable

3.ensure the motherboard chipset is nvidia

4. ensure your graphics card is nvidia

5. after setting up your router ,you must set the port forward option to communicate to your cctv machine when the router recieves a request for your cctv system comms ports.the geovision cctv open ports are referenced at the rear of your install manual.

6. you must set up norton to allow access through those ports as well.

7. set up a password for remote connection within the geovision software- not admin tho'.

8.in the geovision software, go to monitoring options- select webcam, tcp/ip, multiview. if you do this correctly,the icons appear on the task bar bottom right.

9.when you set up you lan network assign static addresses to the machines and refer your port forwarding to the cctv machine.

10.disable auto updates within norton and windows xp - you don't need this with your router firewall set up to ignore unspecified ping requests, and port forwarding.

11.display overlay message refers to a few things-mainly

a) graphics card no good- upgrade

B) resolution display setting are incorrect- adjust

c) you have not selected this tab when you set up the geo main system properties, within the geo system.

I suggest you set up the system locally first- make sure your lan coms is good through the router,then use the internet. if you have any conflicts or issues in your set up, norton will give you a message of ports attempting to connect to the web, or an attack/attempt has been made to communicate with your machine.just as a piont of interest, i set up my lynksys router to port forward any incoming requests to an unused/connected port number. therefore i only have the cctv ports open/receiving requests-works well. this is the main reason i use norton, it gives you visual indications of activity, but only as a secondary defence option.

good luck :yes:

Hmm, I think you're a bit off track with your security advice.

Firstly, Norton = Satan, do not use, do not install, do not even mention etc... Norton is a drain on resources and the last thing you want on a PC based DVR is **** software draining resources as Windows is bad enough.

Secondly, I don't see the logic behind the not needing updates. The router is a partial security measure and updating Windows plugs gaping holes that can easily bypass the router.

Also, what do you mean by couldn't handle the traffic? How extensive was the testing you did or did you just swap another brand for a Linksys and it worked?

Guest disstressed
Hmm, I think you're a bit off track with your security advice.

Firstly, Norton = Satan, do not use, do not install, do not even mention etc... Norton is a drain on resources and the last thing you want on a PC based DVR is **** software draining resources as Windows is bad enough.

Secondly, I don't see the logic behind the not needing updates. The router is a partial security measure and updating Windows plugs gaping holes that can easily bypass the router.

Also, what do you mean by couldn't handle the traffic? How extensive was the testing you did or did you just swap another brand for a Linksys and it worked?

:hmm:

proofs in the pudding matey. as i said it works fine.- if your firewalled properly why enable updates, theres no reason to as the system only uses the cctv software, if you do use a firewall it will allow you to view its log which will then enable you to see what port activity you have-then enable or disable the said port.As for exchanging the router, the previous manufacturer i used was zoom and after two units failed, i was advised to use lynksys,which is more robust under use of high banbwidth, as i said it works. As for norton , it is like any software- it's got problems- but better of without it?

p.s. this was a response from a request for help on a general problem on geovision,as i said at the start, i've installed systems that work, if the guy sticks to something like this setup he won't go far wrong!!!

;)

Personally I would not recommend PC based recording and viewing of cctv just install any number of good dvr's and the jobs done.

But if you have to use PC I would use a dedicated PC, I mean its not a financial thing these days with a suitable PC available off the shelf for

Archived