Security Installer Community

Geovision Problem

Guest intikab

Guest intikab

I have installed a PC based CCTV system in a client's (friend of a friend) restaurant but I am having a few (well, far too many!) problems.

I am experienced in the PC world but not CCTV so I was using this to get more experience. And boy and I learning the hard way!

A bit of background:

The client wanted cameras set up in the restaurant with the ability to view from a remote location. No problem - PC based (because of dynamic DNS issues) solution.

First off, the client insisted that I used a spare PC that they had. Into this I have installed a Geovision GV650 card with 4 cameras. The PC is up to spec but now I'm wishing I'd stuck to my guns and installed a new one. It's giving me grief!

Second, the installation is 40 miles away and I'm reluctant to keep going to the site if I don't have to.

Third, they had BT Business Broadband installed but it has taken almost 6 weeks to get working. All sorts of issues... BT line fault, router config s/w hanging, too many extension sockets on the phone line (incorrectly wired somewhere too!) and they told me the wrong password! Of course, they want me to fix it because the system I installed is not working!

Anyway, last night, with me on the phone at home and a man in the restaurant, I finally managed to get the broadband working. "Lovely!" I thought, "Almost home now..."

I got the chap at the restaurant to remote connect me to their PC so I could work on it. When I started up the Geovision software, I get a message box saying "There's no correct INI file. Program cannot be executed." The box title is GVMP2Dll. However, the software does start up and run fine if you click OK.

I set up the DDNS service because they have a Dynamic DNS connection.

I then tried to set up the ports in Norton Internet Security 2005 and things continue going pear-shaped. Norton starts hanging..... then I get disconnected.

Phone the guy up and he reconnects me again.

I check the Event Log - no error messages.

Continue working and get disconnected again. Repeat the cycle about 10 times because I want to get this sorted. Even got the chap to reboot the PC a couple of times.

I now get an extra error message when starting Geovision "Directdraw create overlay failed" but I suspect thats because I am remote connected.

I suspect that the PC's operating system has become corrupted and I'm going to have to go there on Friday and rebuild from scratch.

I know things like the broadband are not my problem but the client doesn't want to pay me until I have shown them it working. Problem is what do I do if I decide that I have worked on this too much? It's a grand's worth of kit in there. I am trying to do a good job but I'm reaching the point where I'm not going to make any money out of the job.

The main thing I need help with is the INI message - Has anyone seen the GVMP2Dll message before and know how to fix it?

Any help and advice appreciated but please don't flame me too much!

Thanks

Firstly it never pays to put the card in an existing computer, you don't know what you are getting into.

If the customer doesn't want a new PC we walk way.

The rest of your problems you will need to put down to a learning curve & cure themone at a time.

Guest intikab

Thanks for your opinions.

I totally agree about Norton. And McAfee too. They place too much strain on resources.

I will be replacing with Zone Alarm and AVG. Plus SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D and AdAware. All of which I have good experience with and of. But that's AFTER I reinstall windows XP. Fed up of mucking about - will take the standard PC repair option - trash the current setup and rebuild. Should have done it in the first place. :realmad:

The person I'm doing the work for knows about my lack of experience. Because they were prepared to let me do the work, I feel that I must put in that bit extra to get the job done well. Not many other ways I can get the experience because I have to hold down a day job to keep the family fed and clothed (maybe even a roof over their heads if I'm feeling generous! :P ). At least until the kids learn to sweep chimneys :P

Any help with the INI message - Anyone?

Guest Robmanchester

May help but may not!

Are you using windows XP?

You may be using the same port for the DVR connection as windows XP use for remote assistance. Both bits of software can't use the same port.

Windows XP service pack two can cause loads of problems with router setup due to the wireless featurte microsoft put in.

Nine out of ten times in the past I've had to re install Windows XP with out service pack two.

If windows service pack two has been added latter you can some time un install but messes up most of the time so create a restore point before you start.

Always best to start with a clean windows XP installation.

Guest Tina Hu

now i really understand why my pc work so slowly ,that is because of MAC fee.last time i download a software named winxp manager to optimize my os, and i closed all startup programe when pc is power on, it is really quickly then before.but i must to start firmwall manually every time,so i just reserve macfee to start with pc power on ,and then return to slow speed. i will replace it with kasperskv or some other software made in china.

Guest CCTV_SUPPORT

Could you please advise what PC you are using, if possible the motherboard, graphics card etc.

Also what version of GeoVison are you installing?

Guest intikab

it's a Fujitsu Seimens Scalaeo GA-KARS482M AMD Sempron 3000+ 1Gb Ram

OnBoard Graphics ATI Radeon 200 Express

Windows XP HOME SP2

Geovision V7

ADSL (Dynamic IP)

Second, the installation is 40 miles away and I'm reluctant to keep going to the site if I don't have to.

Third, they had BT Business Broadband installed but it has taken almost 6 weeks to get working. All sorts of issues... BT line fault, router config s/w hanging, too many extension sockets on the phone line (incorrectly wired somewhere too!) and they told me the wrong password! Of course, they want me to fix it because the system I installed is not working!

Anyway, last night, with me on the phone at home and a man in the restaurant, I finally managed to get the broadband working. "Lovely!" I thought, "Almost home now..."

I got the chap at the restaurant to remote connect me to their PC so I could work on it. When I started up the Geovision software, I get a message box saying "There's no correct INI file. Program cannot be executed." The box title is GVMP2Dll. However, the software does start up and run fine if you click OK.

I set up the DDNS service because they have a Dynamic DNS connection.

I then tried to set up the ports in Norton Internet Security 2005 and things continue going pear-shaped. Norton starts hanging..... then I get disconnected.

Phone the guy up and he reconnects me again.

I check the Event Log - no error messages.

Continue working and get disconnected again. Repeat the cycle about 10 times because I want to get this sorted. Even got the chap to reboot the PC a couple of times.

I now get an extra error message when starting Geovision "Directdraw create overlay failed" but I suspect thats because I am remote connected.

The main thing I need help with is the INI message - Has anyone seen the GVMP2Dll message before and know how to fix it?

Any help and advice appreciated but please don't flame me too much!

Thanks

hi m8

blimey you jumped in feet 1st

i fitted a dial-up remote system some 8 years back :cry: - yes i did say dial up and i used PC Anywhwer to access. it henrys audio were good with tech help/email support so call them.

i know others will be quick to scoff or slate me reading the above (hello pete ;) ), but at that time broadband was a rare comodity.

take the clear road option - get the kit to your place far less stressful than having the client all over you.

i really would recommend a couple of new fast hard drives to hold the system and program, other drive for clips - no not a partition. the kit has a nasty habit of locking when data fills the drive and upsetting the OS operating system due to temp file being strangled - use the old drive for clip data if you must - reinstall the operating system (it used to like w2k better than xp), best to use the minimal laptop type of instal to prevent loads of junk drivers going on.

on a pc 'brew' like this one, i'd always set it up at home and soak test for at least a week with 2 or 3 cameras.

set auto reboot every 24 hours, the kits software has this setting and is a good way to 'clean out' any lock-up bugs. B)

with the above in mind, what about using 'gotomypc.com' for remote access by you and the client? low system overheads and full desktop access without needing a fixed ip or remote viewer software - 1st month free

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived