Security Installer Community

Acounts

Well what do we all use for our book keeping?

I was going to use sage but was advised to use excel to start with

any ideas.

Do any of you have an exel file i could have a look at that works out the vat etc ??

We use Sage Financial Controller but when I first started I used Sage Instant Accounts which is pretty good for the cost

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

sage is expensive..my sis runs her own business and uses TAS BOOKS its a division of sage but much cheaper for the small business that doesnt need bells and whistles (pardon the pun)..

I use the excell spread sheets correction I give the figures/words to my daughter who uses them.

Until you get big you don't need anything fancy and the European driving licence disks can train you how to use them if you don't already know how to.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Guest intikab

IMHO - use only what you need. This is from when I was an IT Contractor.

At work, I had a client who was 'just trying things to see what they did". He ran a final balance on his accounts half way through a month. This closes off the accounts (Can't enter any more invoices until NEXT MONTH!) and runs fancy things like cheque payments and BACS transfers! Took days to back it all out (go back to previous backup and re-enter things from there.).

The moral(s) of the story 1) keep to what you understand. 2) Take regular backups!

If you buy things with too many options, you can get yourself into problems. At the end of the day, if you are just trying to keep track of your accounts similar to the old A4 book and biro style, use a simple spreadsheet.

Sorry if I waffled - old habit.

If you are looking for a cost effective solution try looking at this site, www.quickbooks.co.uk

this is a simple easy to use system and quite a few banks recommend it. It is also reasonably priced and can be expanded to cover payroll etc at a later date if required.

Yep we use base, only available to SSAIB tho as far as im aware.
Base is acut down version writen for SSAIB by the same people who do our Database. Base is a good package custom built for this industry.

Jef

Customers!

Archived