Security Installer Community

Which Firm

Guest hardy

Guest G.J.M
Excuse me but what was the edit and why?????

from memory i,m sure i saw a large company spelled out so it by passed the filter ad tea or something similar.

don't quote me on that though.

IMO the bigger a company becomes,the worse their customer service gets.

GJM - Sasha spins often in my house. Went to the first Renaissance in '92 and have just about every track from all the early sets.

Back on topic: Thats perhaps the best answer - i would also add that the more a company tries to diverify, the more the skill sets get watered-down and they become a master of none TBH.

Having worked for both types of fire company, i would testify that perhap the small/medium-size is best. Larger companies suffer dreadful bureacracy to even get a reasonable design turned around.

Within larger companies there are many individuals whom have just 'found' themselves running a job or designing, just because his predessor left - there is a constant battle to seek-out, employ and retain decent staff within larger companies.

Often the seller's for the larger companies are under huge pressure from their customer's to turn around decent standard specifications & prices within a very short period of time - this often leads to mistakes which lead to on-site battles when it becomes apparent the subby hasn't allowed for enhanced-rated cable ! or that error in forgetting to state 'no cross sectional/structural drawings have been provided, thus any voids, girders or fire break walls not shown will be quoted seperately should further devices be required" by the designers.

I often had huge problems working with larger company design teams whom preffered to survey 'national account' jobs than turn around end-user businesses. Infact upon departure, i heard that one national outfit had taken on a 50year old mechanic, to train as a fire designer ! this dont object too - but he was turning quotes out after only 10 working days ! LOL

Guest Cerberus NI
GJM - Sasha spins often in my house. Went to the first Renaissance in '92 and have just about every track from all the early sets.

Back on topic: Thats perhaps the best answer - i would also add that the more a company tries to diverify, the more the skill sets get watered-down and they become a master of none TBH.

Having worked for both types of fire company, i would testify that perhap the small/medium-size is best. Larger companies suffer dreadful bureacracy to even get a reasonable design turned around.

Within larger companies there are many individuals whom have just 'found' themselves running a job or designing, just because his predessor left - there is a constant battle to seek-out, employ and retain decent staff within larger companies.

Often the seller's for the larger companies are under huge pressure from their customer's to turn around decent standard specifications & prices within a very short period of time - this often leads to mistakes which lead to on-site battles when it becomes apparent the subby hasn't allowed for enhanced-rated cable ! or that error in forgetting to state 'no cross sectional/structural drawings have been provided, thus any voids, girders or fire break walls not shown will be quoted seperately should further devices be required" by the designers.

I often had huge problems working with larger company design teams whom preffered to survey 'national account' jobs than turn around end-user businesses. Infact upon departure, i heard that one national outfit had taken on a 50year old mechanic, to train as a fire designer ! this dont object too - but he was turning quotes out after only 10 working days ! LOL

Fair comments all round - I work for a biggie and the red tape is atrocious. banghead - always someone else knows better than the guy with the testpole!

Guest G.J.M

You serious?

I a huge Sasha and Digweed fan. Used to spin for years but sold the twelve tens two years ago but kept all the vinyl.

Thinking of buying another set. Any chance of getting a signed something if your not pulling my leg?

Graeme.

• 8 months later...

Been doing this for 25 years and here is my opinion. Open Protocol.

Devices- Hochiki- never had a problem and the back up is excellent.Only down side is they dont do a combined sounder beacon. You can usually get by this by using a sounder base and plug in beacon (Remember to take into consideration lower db output from sounder base). Everything else though is top notch.

Fire Panels.Kentec panels for small to medium sized projects.They use Hochiki-Apollo and Argus devices .400 ma on loops is low but most output devices are now led and low powered. The panels are Global for isolations etc but if you change cause and effect on networked systems you have to download to each panel. These points aside the panels are easy to use and are easy to programme. I have worked on a few different types and would recommend both the above.

Closed Protocol.

Use Protec. The equipment is good but like all the majors the back up and Service needs to improve.

Best combination for me, apollo and morley.

Spoken to Protec tech support and as long as they think you are a customer in need and not an engineer on site having problems they are great!!!

Worked with Gent vigillon, long winded, HW fault shuts down the loop ( really handy when you haven't got a spare sounder/strobe in the boot and cannot access it to loop it through! ) cracking bit of desingn chaps!

Just my humble opinion

Hi Minime,

Just wondering what sort of H/W faults you have encountered that shut the loop down on a Vig?

Personally like the Advanced MX for addressable. Gent Xenex are good and realiable for conventional.

Dont like the remote signal isolate on Haes conventional - no warning led to remind you its isolated or not

Dom

Archived