Security Installer Community

Ade Viper Shock Sensor

Guest john mck

Guest john mck

Hello ,

I have replced the elderly optima 2 control panel which was in my house when we moved in with an Optima G3 compact panel . I am re-using all door contacts, cabling ,PIR's to save a lot of work and expense and so far fine but cannot make sense of viper 3 sensors fitted to windows . I can power them and they seem to work as a knock will start LED flashing after 8 sec delay , however using a meter I cannot see any difference over alarm contacts . Installation instructions dont help much . Any advice would be welcome .

Thanks folks

John

Were they wired as latching before? (7 terminals in each shock sensor wired up?) if so you will have to wire the latch wire to the Set + terminal in the G3 (TERMINAL 27), set and unset the panel and see if that clears it. The LED should flash all the time, and extinguish when a shock is detected.

Trade Member

Guest john mck
Were they wired as latching before? (7 terminals in each shock sensor wired up?) if so you will have to wire the latch wire to the Set + terminal in the G3 (TERMINAL 27), set and unset the panel and see if that clears it. The LED should flash all the time, and extinguish when a shock is detected.

Power supply is correct, tamper works when cover removed but I read a "hard "loop 0 Ohms across alarm contacts whether in alarm or not . Six terminals are in use the seventh is linked to terminal 5 (one side of power feed )

Thanks for taking the time .

John

They are old vipers that need the power removing from them to reset, they also have a habit of getting stuck open or closed circuit, what is the resistance reading across the alarm terminals (cables disconnected) when power is removed?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest john mck

OK folks, I've got it sussed. For any others puzzling about them what I've found is :- After initial power up they are closed loop with no LED . After first shock they go disconnect for 8 secs only then back to loop and led will now flash foreveror until power down/up . A subsequent shock will produce another 8 second disconnection. I couldn't see the diconnection because by the time I was back at control panel having tapped sensor it was back to normal . Thanks to everyone .

John .

• 11 months later...

Any of you Viper experts ever had them go into a sleep mode?

We have just installed some vipers for the first time, they work to spec, led pulsing until shock registered then returning to normal.

However, we have 9 on one EOL zone and 4 on another EOL zone.

These are the bog standard non latching variety.

THEY SEEM TO GO TO SLEEP!

The customer first noticed this, Not the whole zone, and the detectors is completely random.

When you do the visual check, just looking at the led as you walk past, sometime you notice one or two are not working.

Bang the wall, and they come back to life and work normally.

I have spoken to the distributors tech desk and he assures me that they don't have a power save or sleep mode.

MINE DO!

Any ideas guys....

As for Viper versus texecom, the viper build is good, well designed with trapped screws, that can't fall out and a slot in pcb.

Plus a premium rate support line.

Texecom fixing screw is easy to drop and lose, but the tech support is on an 0500 number, so I guess you pays your money and takes you choice,

So Texecom, Please buy a viper and steal the good ideas, then combine your good ideas and theirs, you would clean up!

Guest anguscanplay

just sounds like the leds are reset when the panel set - correct operation so far - then you bang the wall and they flash- thats how you know which one activated the system whilst you were out - the ones that are flashing all the time have just picked up vibration since last set -

sound a bit sensative though does it false alarm a lot

Archived