Security Installer Community

How Much Of A Glow Is 715nm?

Alexg

Looking at a dennard 880 50Watt IR lamp.

It has a 715nM filter, how much of a glow will this give off?

Thanks.

Can't remember which way round it works (haven't done any CCTV for ages!). I seem to remember that 700 range is covert, 800 is in the middle and 900 is overt?

Can't remember which way round it works (haven't done any CCTV for ages!). I seem to remember that 700 range is covert, 800 is in the middle and 900 is overt?

Yes that's right. 950nm is covert. 715nm will be visible (similar to a traffic light, according to Derwent)

If you don't know......ask.

post-1-1137710707.jpg

Wavelengths_for_Colors

The above link is a good resource on the subject of what the human eye can see.

715nm - Emits a cherry red glow. Red glow will reflect off a wall to about 5 feet. A cherry red glow can easily be seen when looking at the light.

830nm - Emits a dull red glow. No red light visible from reflected light. A dull red glow can be seen when looking at light.

1000nm - When bore-sighting (viewing directly into beam) in a completely dark room from a few feet, you can see a very faint red glow. Otherwise, the light produced is completely invisible to the human eye.

Most night vision devices (NVD), can only see to about 880nm. The 1000nm will work but not very well with these devices. When complete covertness is required, the 1000nm is the best option.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Thanks,

Will the majority of B/W cameras work ok with 715? I've currently got a 830 lamp and the camera hardly sees it.

It depends if the b+w camera is IR sensitive?,if it can see somthing from th 830nm then it should be better with a 715nm light

Archived