Security Installer Community

Hi From Kent - Cctv Advice

Guest matopia

Guest matopia
I ordered one of the Sharp Cams to try out from eBay, will post some pics hopefully tomorrow as it's supposed to arrive by 1pm.. :)

Excellent, I emailed the guy selling the

At the risk of being a totally boring old f@rt, I just thought I ought to throw a couple of basic comments in the pot.

If there is an ongoing vandalism problem, ideally, it would be sensible to go covert first to identify who is doing it. Once caught, the covert camera can then (if appropriate) be converted to overt as an ongoing deterrent. If a visible camera is installed from the outset, it generally deters in about 75% of situations, but can have the effect of triggering other forms of ASB (anti social behaviour), outside the range of the camera. You can always successfully go from covert to overt, but rarely the other way around.

I think Peter James suggested that mounting the camera too high would be detrimental (apologies if I got that wrong), and I would have to agree wholeheartedly. The 'Cone of Containment' is completely wrong for a camera mounted in this position, as you will need to use a wider angle lens to achieve the vertical coverage, and that will produce smaller targets on the recorded image.

Personally, I would have gone for a very sensitive high resolution monochrome camera, mounted in the top corner of the downstairs window (provided of course it gives the desired coverage), and looked to upgrade the porch light which can then be left on all night. If a tungsten bulb is used, that will throw out lots of invisible IR allowing the B/W camera to produce a much brighter image, then would be suggested simply from the visible light level.

Using a 'box' camera with CS mount varifocal lens (personally I hate varifocals!), would allow an inexperienced user to frame the picture on the nearest parked vehicle (plus 1metre each end), and should give a very good image.

Incidentally, it would be preferable to park the red car nearer to the property, as it would benefit from the lighting more so than a silver vehicle (inverse square law and spectral reflectance .... don't even ask!!).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest matopia
I ordered one of the Sharp Cams to try out from eBay, will post some pics hopefully tomorrow as it's supposed to arrive by 1pm.. :)

Service Engineer,

Just curious really, did you ever buy those cameras? What are they like? Do you have any night shot photos? What is the quality of the images? Can you send some examples?

cheers,

Mike

TBH the quality of picture as the unit arrived was spoilt by the poor positioning of the LED's as they reflected off the dome cover onto the lens and were then visable on the image.

After removing the LED's (which I felt I had to do), the image was better but only as good as the fixed camera I already had. For

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

I had similar problems to you last November. Coincidentaly, I was installing CCTV at the time anyway and were able to identify the people responsible after a couple of days. The police went round to their houses and got them. My IR camara is a 50m one but it only really can see faces at 8m with some background illumination.

I'm upgrading my system now so will follow your post.

Does CCTV work. Well I'm still a bit uneasy in the evening sometimes but at least I know that any thing is being recorded on motion detection. I've not had anymore problems and any kids now walk on the other side of the road but the CCTV still gets them over there anyway HaHa.

If you go down the pc route get a dedicated pc for the job. Mine was

Guest matopia
I had similar problems to you last November. Coincidentaly, I was installing CCTV at the time anyway and were able to identify the people responsible after a couple of days. The police went round to their houses and got them. My IR camara is a 50m one but it only really can see faces at 8m with some background illumination.

I'm upgrading my system now so will follow your post.

Does CCTV work. Well I'm still a bit uneasy in the evening sometimes but at least I know that any thing is being recorded on motion detection. I've not had anymore problems and any kids now walk on the other side of the road but the CCTV still gets them over there anyway HaHa.

If you go down the pc route get a dedicated pc for the job. Mine was

Guest matopia

It's been 20 days since my decision to install CCTV to my property and my search for a camera has been some what frustrating because there has are so many cameras on offer, and even though advice from everyone on this forum has been amazing, I am still a little apprehensive about rushing into buying a CCTV kit i know nothing about.

But I want to wrap this up as soon as possible, because I have CCTV on the brain and it cannot be a good thing. So I have compiled a list of cameras I am interested in. I would appreciate your thoughts on the cameras and please feel free to recommend a similar camera. I am not interested in a cheap alternative (e.g. an EBAY lookalike, or a gadget spy camera). I have �350 to spend. That is a maximum, so I am expecting everything (box, cables, psu, lenses, mounts etc) for that price. :yes:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.buythis.co.uk/open_product.asp?...ffset=&Orderby=
Vantage VGC750 - 1/2 G Series CCTV Camera Day/Night - 3yr warranty for �199.
480 Line, 0.5 Lux, DD, AMP, BLC, IR Responsive 240Vac

* 480 TVL
* IR Pass Filter
* 0.5 Lux (F1.2)
* 4 mode backlight compensation
* Camera ID Function
* Cat5 Video Output/Comp Video Output* Available in 12v/24Vac VGC752
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/cs_camera.htm
True Day/Night C/CS mount Camera
Model 45CSHR-12 �95 Special
Sony Super HAD CCD 500TVL High Res
Auto Iris will accept Manual, direct or video drive lens.
45C_small.jpg
With 3.5-8mm direct drive lens �125
1/3" Sony super HAD CCD 500TVL High Res

0.01 lux at F1.2
12V DC

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/cs_camera.htm
True day/night C/CS mount camera
Model 45CSHRX �115
45C_small.jpg
Sony EXVIEW HAD 500TVL High RES.
Auto Iris will accept Manual, direct or video lens
with 3.5-8mm direct drive lens �135
1/3" Sony EXVIEW HAD CCD 500TVL
0.001 lux at F1.2
12VDC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/colour_sony_ir.htm
IR x 49ea-CC70CSHRX-4IR
Sony EXVIEW HADA CDD �155
Fixed focal 4.3mm, 8mm, or 12mm lens
CC70CSHR-IR_small.jpg
0 Lux at no illumination
850nm (long range) IR LEDs x 49ea
12VDC/ 1A required for high power IR

cable attached with waterproof connector

------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/cam-bullet-bw.htm
Model 19BW
Quality camera -1/3" CCD
19b7_small.jpg
Waterproof
Fixed focus lens
Good low light capability, 0.05lux
Hori. 420 TV-line

Auto-iris controlled by electronic system
Aluminium housing, Black
Complete with bracket
CCIR format
http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/sony_colour_ccd.htm

21CWSHRX (High Res EXVIEW (low light) Sony CCD �145
DSCF0075col_B_st_small.JPG

High Res, 1/3", DSP color CCD (Sony Super HAD)
480 TV Lines
0.5 Lux at F2.0
0.1 Lux at 2.0 (EX-View version)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
cheers ,

Mike

Archived