Security Installer Community

Hi From Kent - Cctv Advice

Guest matopia

Guest matopia

Wow! Thank you for all the comments from Dean, David, Mark and RJBSEC...

The idea of a sensor light (didn't think of that), is a good idea and I know quite a few neighbours already have these in our street, except they don't have CCTV, but a good point.

So, a little more research on the cameras then. I will look at the links provided and if I've got any questions I will reply later.

cheers,

Mike

Guest rjbsec
Once the camera is in a housing (and I looked at the CHEM housing and bracket), will the housing have any effect on the LUX.

There should be no noticeable effect.

In terms of lighting, I am thinking of getting a sensor light that comes on when there is movement in it's range? Will that be good enough, or should I look at getting some IR lamp (and how do these lights switch on when the need arises? Do they work like the sensor lamps or ornamental lighting sensors)?

IR lamps have a photocell which switches the lamp on in low light.

If using standard sensor lights be aware of the need for illumination where you want to see at night - you may need more than 1 or you may need floodlighting. A good IR lamp is going to cost you as much as the camera and the "bulb" will need regular replacement at a fairly hefty cost also.

I have also looked at DOME camera's (the anti-vandal) ones, but haven't really found one on par with the Samsung 520. Can anyone recommend a dome camera that would be suitable for my needs (as above). Are DOME cameras recommended or should I stay clear of them.

A good standard camera will generally give a better image than a good dome camera - if you go for dome due to fear of vandalism you will need to ensure that you get a day/night version or you will not be able to see anything at night.

Guest matopia
A good standard camera will generally give a better image than a good dome camera - if you go for dome due to fear of vandalism you will need to ensure that you get a day/night version or you will not be able to see anything at night.

Thank you for your comments. :hmm: I am now undecided.

Let me approach this another way.

Photo1: Here is a view from my window (looking down where my car would be parked). The little roof is on top of a small bay window, which is my lounge window. All I want the camera to see is the pavement and/or the little patch of land in front of my window as well as watch the car park below (where that silver car is parked) and/or the red car on the other side of the road.

Img_1228b.jpg

Photo2: Is where I park when I can't park outside my house. And so, this was the reason I was wanting a camera that could cover the range.

Img_1230c.jpg

Photo3: is a view from the other side of the road where I would normally park (as in photo2).

Img_1232d.jpg

Where would be the best place to put the camera(s) and how high up should it be?

Will I be needing more than one camera to cover what I want covered (pavement/car and/or other side of road). I am thinking yes... :) and knowing what you know now, do I need a dome (day/night) camera or the Samsung 520 or something else?

Sorry to be a pain...

cheers,

Mike

Guest Raymond
Where would be the best place to put the camera(s) and how high up should it be?

Without a doubt, I'd locate the camera under the eaves (to provide protection from rain) and the field of view wuold be reasonable enough to covver across the street if you're parket there. One of the cameras featured earlier, with inbuild IR array round the lens would provide illumination and any spill would reflect off the building front. You'll just have to route the wiresnto the loft space then down to your recorder.

Guest matopia
Without a doubt, I'd locate the camera under the eaves (to provide protection from rain) and the field of view wuold be reasonable enough to covver across the street if you're parket there. One of the cameras featured earlier, with inbuild IR array round the lens would provide illumination and any spill would reflect off the building front. You'll just have to route the wiresnto the loft space then down to your recorder.

You mean something like this (taken from above)... :)

post-1-1136143771.jpg

I would mount the camera lower down as to capture some facial features, high up and you will get a good coverage but only of the tops of heads.

:hmm: Does anyone have footage of what to expect from a particular camera at a defined height. (I have seen an example of footage for the (IR camera) and according to the author it was not great.

As long as it stops these vandals damaging my property or makes them aware that they are being monitored, then mission accomplished Mr Bond!

I suppose higher up near/under the eves will capture heads and survey the area I want to watch, and perhaps a 2nd camera (spy/covert camera) well hidden can be lower to capture face features... :)

This is going to cost money hey!

Guest matopia

EZ-IR-Dome.jpg

What does 0 LUX with IR mean?

What sort of MINIMUM LUX should I be looking for in a camera?

What is radient distance of 10 mean?

I've been looking at the above Beam Spread and 35 degrees is that good or bad? How can one get that increased and does that mean radient distance needs to increase or decrease?

yk-2h57.jpg

I had a look at another dome camera and it mentioned it had Built in Vari-Focal 3.5-8mm Lens apposed to what?

What is the advantage of Vari Focal? Can this be adjusted remotely at the DVR?

cheers,

Mike

Guest rjbsec

A day/night camera will allow you to see colour at day and mono at night, colour produces a much better degree of clarity for identification. You will need suitable light, be it sensor operated standard lighting or some form of infrared lighting.

A camera fitted at lower level, say about the height of your satellite dish, will provide the best "capture" due to the steep angle down to the point where your car will be parked. The camera you display in your post has a very flimsy bracket and I would not use it if I lived in your house, I would probably opt for one or more vandal-resist day/night dome cameras with onboard infrared LED's for minimal illumination, though there aren't many around with the infrared LED's.

http://www.digitalvideos.co.uk/productimag...RVFPRO-spec.pdf

post-775-1136213619_thumb.jpg

Guest matopia
A day/night camera will allow you to see colour at day and mono at night, colour produces a much better degree of clarity for identification. You will need suitable light, be it sensor operated standard lighting or some form of infrared lighting.

A camera fitted at lower level, say about the height of your satellite dish, will provide the best "capture" due to the steep angle down to the point where your car will be parked. The camera you display in your post has a very flimsy bracket and I would not use it if I lived in your house, I would probably opt for one or more vandal-resist day/night dome cameras with onboard infrared LED's for minimal illumination, though there aren't many around with the infrared LED's.

http://www.digitalvideos.co.uk/productimag...RVFPRO-spec.pdf

Cool, thanks for the advice... I think I am going to use dome cameras as you suggest. Just one question. I understand I need extra lighting, but what are those LED's surrounding the lense in that camera you have posted? Do they not offer light at night?

Archived