Security Installer Community

How much showing cable is too much showing cable?

Guest graale00

Guest graale00

Hello Everyone,

I have just finished installing a Texecom Veritas8C in my own home and I can't decide wether I have too much cable showing.

For example in one bedroom because of Coving, I have dropped the detector underneath and have two cables running out of the ceiling a good 2 inches against the coving and in the other bedroom have around an inch of cable showing above the detector.

What do you think? No biggy or a pain in the rear?

Thanks Alex

No Cable for me, and I am sure the others will agree.

Using a long thin drill bit drill slowly behind the coving and re-feed the cable down. Otherwise carefully chase out, fill with filler and paint.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

If i did an install and i could see any cable i would not be a happy chapy.

Ok in a garage or in the loft space i would surface clip every 9" but never show any in the main part of the house.

I have spent hours with a coat hanger with a hook on the end in a hole in the wall trying to fish a cable just to get the job right.

No Cable for me, and I am sure the others will agree.

Using a long thin drill bit drill slowly behind the coving and re-feed the cable down. Otherwise carefully chase out, fill with filler and paint.

Same here.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

WHile we are on this topic, anybody know a supplier of wire coat hangers, getting a bit low and the suspended ceiling wire is not quite the same and plastic coat hangers well just very un-engineer friendley.

I think we need to arrange a demonstration at the gates of the wire coat factory, to show our support.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Guest Cerberus NI
WHile we are on this topic, anybody know a supplier of wire coat hangers, getting a bit low and the suspended ceiling wire is not quite the same and plastic coat hangers well just very un-engineer friendley.

I think we need to arrange a demonstration at the gates of the wire coat factory, to show our support.

Good point!!What a multi-purpose tool the wire coathanger is - it opens my trap door,decimates the monster that lurks around the U-bend and clogs the flushing water,opens car doors in the movies....... :hmm:

Use welding rods, easilly available in large amounts.

• 2 months later...

Strange but true, the same fire guys are on at the same time most nights doo doo do... are we a breed apart :hmm:

Bri

trade.gif

WHile we are on this topic, anybody know a supplier of wire coat hangers,

Bung your local dry cleaner a couple of quid, saves the embarrassment of being court rifling through the subscribers cupboards (unless you realy are looking for the "toys")

along with my cable tracers

you use the progressive electronic ones? like the telephone eng's

I have a roll of suspended ceiling wire, I wrap one end round my worktop leg unroll about 20 meters and fasten the end into the drill, spin and watch in amazement as it becomes perfectly straight, cut to length and Bob's a close relative.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I have a roll of suspended ceiling wire, I wrap one end round my worktop leg unroll about 20 meters and fasten the end into the drill, spin and watch in amazement as it becomes perfectly straight, cut to length and Bob's a close relative.

I use the same, but I wait for the ceiling fitters to do all the unravelling\spinning then have whatever they throw on the floor, usually miles of wire along with packs of tiles and miles of t-bar etc...

I use the same, but I wait for the ceiling fitters to do all the unravelling\spinning then have whatever they throw on the floor, usually miles of wire along with packs of tiles and miles of t-bar etc...

So you have got suspended ceiling all over your house then :ninja:

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

• 1 month later...

I found fence wire to be excellent same trick as suspended ceiling wire to get it straight and it's a bit thicker.

Oh and i don't like to leave any cable showing

Trade Member

Hello Everyone,

I have just finished installing a Texecom Veritas8C in my own home and I can't decide wether I have too much cable showing.

For example in one bedroom because of Coving, I have dropped the detector underneath and have two cables running out of the ceiling a good 2 inches against the coving and in the other bedroom have around an inch of cable showing above the detector.

What do you think? No biggy or a pain in the rear?

Thanks Alex

its part of demonstrating if a system is installed by a DIYer or a pro installer, we get paid for what we know how to do not what we do (thats why we are all skint :rolleyes: )

getting pir on the wall is the easy bit - getting it on the wall in the right place..........

ever marvelled at the guy on the market stool cutting glass strips with ease, you buy this wonder tool grab a bit of glass, result dolls house window panes all over the place all different sizes too.

regs

arfur_mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 3 months later...
arfur mo Posted Feb 15 2006, 12:23 AM

better still, invest in a set of fibre glass 'fishing rods' from Screwfix.com, they come in a tube of 8, with bendy, magnetic, hook & eye ends for about

intruder cables are a doddle to hide compared to proper mens fire cable ;):P

Fire alarm cables are a doddle to install compared to proper mens SWA. ;):P

Archived