Security Installer Community

New Alarm required + computer connection + dialler

Guest hofmeister

Guest hofmeister

I have an //.National Installer.// Galaxy 8 which works fine - except the amount of money that they want from me to buy it from them - £650!!!

so, as i work in IT and can build computer systems i would guess? it can't be too difficult to replace the Galaxy8 with another panel?

i would leave the existing PIR's and bell box as is.

I'd like the new system to be setup via a computer - rather than trying to setup zones on a key panel.

would also like it connected to a computer/home network for logs/reports.

also want it to txt me when the alarm is set/unset/goes off

don't want the cheapest B&Q special or similar so am prepared to pay for a good solution.

any suggestions?

Texecom Premier 24 with COM2400(for texting) and a USBCOM lead(for connecting to computer) and a copy of Wintex Software, you will need to change the end of line resistors in all the PIRS/contacts but they come with the panel.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I have an //.National Installer.// Galaxy 8 which works fine - except the amount of money that they want from me to buy it from them - £650!!!

so, as i work in IT and can build computer systems i would guess? it can't be too difficult to replace the Galaxy8 with another panel?

I'd like the new system to be setup via a computer - rather than trying to setup zones on a key panel.

don't want the cheapest B&Q special or similar so am prepared to pay for a good solution.

any suggestions?

once the contract has expired, //.National Installer.// will want ALL their equipment back, not just the panel.

That includes, keypad, panel, sounders, bell boxes, panic buttons and pirs.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

once the contract has expired, //.National Installer.// will want ALL their equipment back, not just the panel.

That includes, keypad, panel, sounders, bell boxes, panic buttons and pirs.

Regards

Bellman

Is that true? Is that even after you have paid for the equipment and the installation? :hmm:

Would the customer not own that system themselves?

Chubb Service Engineer

It is obviously an //.National Installer.// rental. They charge you the same for the installation as other companies do, but unlike where with other companies who sell you the equipment within that price, //.National Installer.// is only renting it to you for the duration of the contract.

That is how they can sell it to the customer who wants to end the contract, otherwise he is faced with installing a completely new system after they take out the lot (excluding cables I think).

I am not sure whether they should be admired or hated :hmm:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Is that true? Is that even after you have paid for the equipment and the installation? :hmm:

Would the customer not own that system themselves?

They haven't paid for the equipment, they RENT the equipment and they pay for the installation.

I think he'll be lucky to find a co who would install a full galaxy system for less than the £650 quoted above.

Regards

Bellman

They haven't paid for the equipment, they RENT the equipment and they pay for the installation.

I think he'll be lucky to find a co who would install a full galaxy system for less than the £650 quoted above.

Regards

Bellman

Yes, but how much did they charge for installation in the first place? If they did a Jeff and installed it for £80.00 then fair enough (but then Jeff would have a life long contact with high monthly's :) ) but if they charged what we would call full price and it's just the small print that mentions "rental", then that would be different. Just playing devils advocate :)

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Dont let //.National Installer.// remove it, have it removed and give them the equipment back. Engineers with the integrity of Bellman would neatly remove the equipment so the cables can be reused but some engineers will cut all the cables flush with the wall rendering them useless.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

As far as I am aware most of the nationals do the same thing.

high install low monthly or low install and high monthly, the outcome is the same and everybody has to earn their pound of flesh one way or another.

The expenses in running an alarm co are astronomical and there's nothing wrong with making a healthy profit, after all this allows the co to pay decent wages to their engineers and helps the company to grow.

Regards

Bellman

Guest CHRISATBSS

any suggestions?

All that and the hassle of taking out the old and refitting new once youve found what you want with all those featuers you want is going to cost over the £650 quoted .The galaxy 8 is a very good and reliable panel .You could programe that by pc if you had the software and if it is a galxay (+) it can phone your mobile

you said your prepared to pay for good solution yes £650 is a bit expencive but how many devices have you got stick with what you know works

and is it a rented alram or is it that you whant to get out off a fixed 3 -5 year contract

Dont let //.National Installer.// remove it, have it removed and give them the equipment back. Engineers with the integrity of Bellman would neatly remove the equipment so the cables can be reused but some engineers will cut all the cables flush with the wall rendering them useless.
QFA we removed and replaced both an //.National Installer.// and a Swift system this week boxed both up for collection. Had they been removed by the installer (including me) the cables would have been chopped to remove the kit more quickly.

Jef

Customers!

Archived