Security Installer Community

CCTV & Coax cable runs and power cables

Guest deefadog

Guest johnburger
Ok thanks, yes it will be getting tested (for my own piece of mind, although i am very competent at electricals, apart form the regs and rules that is) , once all the jobs are done!

One thing i have always wondered about this new law, is how is it suppose to be enforced? i mean can they do random house checks, but you can then say "well gov that was done 5 years ago!"

Hard luck on that one unless you can source black and red cable.

If you bury the cable in the wall it must be in the safe zones (see the regs) otherwise trunking can go almost anywhere.

In terms of enforcement the part P system is supposed to identify the cowboys, so if there are any complaints made and a contractor is found to be falsifying certificates there wil be heavy penalties. If there is a death and the person certifying the work had passed things that did not meet the regs then he could go to jail. Also if electrical work has been done on a house and the house is then put up for sale the certificates for the work will be needed or the value wil significantly drop.

That's the thing though, you can use it quite legitemately if you buy it from B&Q and fit it yourself then get the BCO to come and sign it off. Most local councils don't know this and refuse to sign electrics off.

Same thing with gas really, under certain circumstances you can do the work yourself which is why you can find a full range of gas fittings and some boiler spares in B&Q etc...

Yes but they need to be told in advance so that they can do at least 2 visits to see the wiring before being plastered/concealed.

Where is this utopia you hail from?

All of your responses so far seem to be completely to the book and nothing like what it is like here in the real world. Do you work for the NIC or something? :ninja:

• 5 months later...

hi all,

this thread has drifted a bit from the original enquiery but we have got onto part P and implications when selling your home on.

when i had my combi serviced, the engineer (CORGI Reg had a nice badge too) was saying that before long we will not only need to have gas appliances serviced yearly (as you should) but also electrical works and general plumbing will need inspecting to get house insurrance.

it was only his opinion of upcomming trends, but had a ring of conceivability to it.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

It has been electrical regulations for quite some time that the installation in domestic premises should be inspected regularly..... but everyone sems to ignore it.

hi alarm guard, it never seems to be enforced though. i have never been asked and i don't know anyone who has by any authorative body if i have had electric's inspected, even when moving house its not in the servyors report.

i think insurrance companies will use it as a 'get out' clause in the near future and i bet well hidden in their favoured brand of goblygook if you suffer a fire. again if a pipe burst's that will become an issue to at some future date too.

regs

alan

It has been electrical regulations for quite some time that the installation in domestic premises should be inspected regularly..... but everyone sems to ignore it.

There is nothing to enforce it though. For years, BS7671 was a guidance document only, meaning no-one had to comply with it in the slightest if they didn't want to. Even now with part p unless you choose to have something done it still can't be enforced.

Someone may decide to make parts of it mandatory, although having your gas equipment serviced is only a guide, it's just people take gas appliances more seriously.

All in all, who knows, more misconceptions and stuopid regulations on the horizon?

Home Information Packs will change this position, as insurers and mortgage companies will insist on regular inspections.

well done alarmgard, it was a phrase that gas fitter used and i could not recall it when adding to the thread.

regs

alan

• 9 months later...
Dont hold your breath!

As usual, this is how it will be enforced. Not a bad thing - although you can bet there will be some stealth tax on this some way/how.

Don't know if any of you have ever seen how Insurance companies implement surveys (thermal) in industrial enviroments, but its the insurance companies who drive the companies to comply, not the regulations.

You would be supprised how sensitive it is, and IMO helpful.

Guest anguscanplay
The stick with part P is this.

Bodgit and Scarper kitchen installers have applied for Part P recognition but only one of their installers is fully qualified and certified at part P.

Outcome Bodgit and scarper are covered by Part P :wacko: .

not my understanding of the situation in that only the quallified installer can sign the job off and issue the certificate and responsibility is shared equally

part p only comes into play if you are working in a prohibited area ie kitchen,bathroom and outdoors

back to original question min 100mm spacing all mains and extra low voltage cables unless crossed at right angles "16th edt regs"

Archived