Security Installer Community

CCTV & Coax cable runs and power cables

Guest deefadog

Guest deefadog

Going to be installing my CCTV cameras and some new RG59 for sky through out the house, is there a certain distance i should keep the cables from a 240V (13Amp) cable? and i have a few coax & 13Amp cabling running together (previous owner) will this cause picture distortion? - should i seperate them?

cheers

In an ideal world yes, reality in homes means its difficult to achieve. If you possibly can then certainly keep them at least 100mm apart, never run them in the same containment or trunking. If the absolutly have to run together, keep it to a minimum as mains can cause interference on your coaxial.

Guest deefadog

Thanks, i had a feeling it should be!

If i have two coax cables, should these also be seperated, or can i put them in the same trunking?

You can group multiple co-ax cables together, just avoid mixing mains in with it.

If mains and co-ax\other low voltage cables run together I try and put them both in seperate trunking to provide the required segragation. If both runs are in trunking\tube they can be run in parrallel.

Guest deefadog

Thanks Lurch!

To comply with Part P, does the power cable have to be buried in the wall, or can i suface mount it in a suitable trunking?

Either\or. Although unless you are getting it tested by a suitably approved electrician then it won't comply whatever you do with it, assuming whatever it is is in the scope of part P in the first place.

Guest deefadog

Ok thanks, yes it will be getting tested (for my own piece of mind, although i am very competent at electricals, apart form the regs and rules that is) , once all the jobs are done!

One thing i have always wondered about this new law, is how is it suppose to be enforced? i mean can they do random house checks, but you can then say "well gov that was done 5 years ago!"

One thing i have always wondered about this new law, is how is it suppose to be enforced?

Quite simply, it can't.... yet. Once they iron out the creases and when people do actually start falling foul of it then it will sort of become self enforced to an extent. As no-one quite knows what's going on no-one's exactly sure what to do or how to do it exactly atm so enforcement is tricky.

Guest deefadog

Very true, why sell CU, cables, boxes the whole shabang at B&Q, when your not suppose to use it :whistle:

I can see this causing more problems, because more and more people will be doing it them selves to avoid the extra cost from a lecky.

Fortunately i know a good guy (electrician) and he always checks my work for me, which gives me the peace of mind that everything is safe!

cheers guyz

Archived