Security Installer Community

CCTV & Coax cable runs and power cables

Guest deefadog

Very true, why sell CU, cables, boxes the whole shabang at B&Q, when your not suppose to use it :whistle:

That's the thing though, you can use it quite legitemately if you buy it from B&Q and fit it yourself then get the BCO to come and sign it off. Most local councils don't know this and refuse to sign electrics off.

Same thing with gas really, under certain circumstances you can do the work yourself which is why you can find a full range of gas fittings and some boiler spares in B&Q etc...

Guest deefadog

Yes very true, and gas is worst than electrics!

Excuss my ignorance but who or what is a BOC? and what do they charge?

I guess i'll have many more questions on the other forum ;)

The stick with part P is this.

If you decide to rewire your bathroom, kitchen and not bother with part P, well thats okay but try selling your house.

The buyer through his surveyor, can insist on compliance with Part P to all your electrical modifications.

Insurance companies once they find out you have made alterations to your electrical wiring will do anything they can not to pay out if you make a claim.

If you think im in favour of part P, Im not.

Example: Bodgit and Scarper kitchen installers have applied for Part P recognition but only one of their installers is fully qualified and certified at part P.

Outcome Bodgit and scarper are covered by Part P :wacko: .

Exactly, that's what I mean by falling foul of it. Someone rewiring there own house won't be too bothered about part P as no-one knows the work has been done, it's only once people start being asked for certificates that it will start sinking in.

At this particular moment, part P hasn't made anything safer, probably the opposite in fact.

Guest deefadog

Yep understand!

It just depends on when you moved in i guess, if it's before 2005, then it's "erm all electrical changes were done in 2004 sir"

if you move in this year, then any obvious changes you had done, if you wanted to move in a few years would be scrutinised!

Yep understand!

It just depends on when you moved in i guess, if it's before 2005, then it's "erm all electrical changes were done in 2004 sir"

if you move in this year, then any obvious changes you had done, if you wanted to move in a few years would be scrutinised!

And if you moved in during or after 2005 theres still no way of proving when the work was done so back to square 1.

In 10 years time well maybe it will count then but what if youve lost the cert?

I dont have a cert for my central heating but it wont stop me selling the house.........

Guest deefadog

Yes very true!

I don't think they thought this through :)

But i bet it has produced a whole lot of jobs and obviously more trees will suffer due to the paper work :(

Plumbers mash pipes together and aren't governed by CORGI. CORGI registered fitters are gas engineers. :P

Sorry for the pedanticness, my Dad's CORGI registered. ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest johnburger
Going to be installing my CCTV cameras and some new RG59 for sky through out the house, is there a certain distance i should keep the cables from a 240V (13Amp) cable? and i have a few coax & 13Amp cabling running together (previous owner) will this cause picture distortion? - should i seperate them?

cheers

Separation should be 50mm for electrical safety. cables must not route through the same holes in joists. Joists should not be notched. Not sure about rg59. I usually use ct100, it may be the same cable. As long as it is double screened 75 ohm high quality you should be OK. Sky specify a particular cable you might want to ask them before you install. Parallel runs over long distances may cause interference so wherever possible on runs more than 3m keep the separation to 400mm and cross at right angles, this may be more than necessary but following this policy I have never had a problem.

Here are a couple of ideas: If you are going to be using a distribution amp make sure it can pass dc so you can do signalling from remote rooms back to set top boxes etc. Sky boxes have an RFoutput that accepts dc from IRemotes through an eye (IR reciever).

For tidiness sake I always put the amp in the stair cupboard with an extra cable to the lounge (Making 2) for feeding the rf from sky and vcr to remote tvs.

Don't forget to put a telephone point near the sky box.

Loft boxes are amps that usually take the IF from the dish and send to the box and then have various inputs for FM CCTV sky o/p etc

Hope this helps

John Burger

Archived