Security Installer Community

Dam Joiners!!!!

Alarm Protection

:ranting: Just wired up 3 houses last week and went through where the wires are to come out and still the joiners have just put plasterboard over them.

I do have them marked and will probably be able to fish them out but they annoy me with a passion!!!

!

option one: do as you suggest, ie try and fish your cables to make a neat job of it.

option two: knock a big hole in the board to get your cables out. Joiner/plasterer will soon learn.

I always go for the 2nd option personally.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest IM_Alarms

It's part of the PD6662 that:-"the operative needs to be able to actually walk into the void to fetch the missing cable". Honest mister joiner!!!

:bruce_h4h::ninja::bruce_h4h:

I would not refer to them as joiners. Joiners are skilled tradesmen, whilst palsterboarders are generally compared on the evolutionary scale with amoebas, ie complete monkeys.

I never hesitate to get the hammer out and smash a big hole to get my hand in to get my cables out, that is the only way those idiots will learn.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

When you've done smashing a great big hole in the wall make sure you send them a bill for the time spent as well. Doesn't always get paid but it shows them you mean business!

Guest MSI New York

I'll never forget the time I was on a site and the plaster guys (we call the "rockers") bought a Rotozip. I don't know if you have them or if you call them something different- basically its a small drill that has a special bit thats spins very fast, cutting the plaster board.

So I had run my wires to rough in boxes, as usual, expecting the rockers to cut around them. The rockers, playing with the Rotozip for the first time, soon learned something about the these tools: they go REALLY fast. So they sliced through every single wire.

And if they had apoligized, that would have been the end of it. Stuff happens, people make mistakes, life moves on.

They laughed at me.

arggg

And so, I sent a bill for $40 per cut wire to the General Contractor.

Then I reran my wires. With a 4 pound masonary hammer.

Run your lines again, making larger than neccasery holes. That'll learn 'em.

Archived