Security Installer Community

Home cctv installation

Guest deefadog

Guest deefadog

cheers JB, i never new that camera never came without a lens, good point!

Also good point about the heads, most used are going to need attention, so i'll leave that! I know my own vcr is in good shape, so i'll look into an auto switch box and auto record box.

So for a good clear pic on a TV i need a CCD camera with around 480 lines, thanks! - so something like this? -here

Although you can get a 4.3mm, 8mm & 12mm lens with these, but they are the same price, what is the difference in the lens sizes?

Another thing that has confused me is that alot of ir cameras i have seen will auto record only with a dvr system, why can't they auto record on a normal vcr setup with auto record box? They must ahve a built in pir (but they don't say they do) or is it something to do with the ir - does that send a signal back or something?

Thanks again, really good help!

Another thing that has confused me is that alot of ir cameras i have seen will auto record only with a dvr system, why can't they auto record on a normal vcr setup with auto record box? They must ahve a built in pir (but they don't say they do) or is it something to do with the ir - does that send a signal back or something?

70403[/snapback]

I don't know specifically as I don't know what product you've seen this on, but it sounds like a sales pitch as most DVR's can be set up for motion detection recording without additional PIR's etc... To do it onb a time lapse VCR you'd need PIR's for the motion detection. I think it's just sales patter, it doesn't mean you can't set it up with additional PIR's, it's just trying to convince you to buy a DVR as well.

Guest deefadog

I see, sneaky buggers :)

OK, this what i have found so far:

Camera

- So for a good clear pic on a TV i need a CCD camera with around 480 lines, thanks! - so something like this? -here

Although you can get a 4.3mm, 8mm & 12mm lens with these, but they are the same price, what is the difference in the lens sizes?

Colour Quad processorWill this do?- Here

With this, can i simply plug in the cameras and connect this to my vcr, as from what i can make out it will sequence each camera on screen and then when motion is detected switch to that camera? Not sure if it will start the vcr to record on motion though?

Am i on the right track here guys?

cheers

I see, sneaky buggers :)

OK, this what i have found so far:

Camera

- So for a good clear pic on a TV i need a CCD camera with around 480 lines, thanks! - so something like this? -here

Colour Quad processorWill this do?- Here

With this, can i simply plug in the cameras and connect this to my vcr, as from what i can make out it will sequence each camera on screen and then when motion is detected switch to that camera? Not sure if it will start the vcr to record on motion though?

Am i on the right track here guys?

cheers

70406[/snapback]

320 Lines will probably be sufficient for a standard TV and video. for 420 line cameras you would use a vcr capable of recording at high resolution or a DVR.

The lens size will give you different viewing angles, a 4mm will give you a wider view than an 8mm lens, but it all depends on the distance from the camera to the area you want to look at, and the width of the area you want to look at.

The quad from what I can make out is only auto detecting on the type of camera fitted to it, PAL or NTSC which are image formats generally for America and UK, PAL being the UK standard for TV's. A quad will combine the 4 cameras into one picture and on play back to call one camera onto the screen, it would actually zoom into 1 quarter of the picture. But I am not sure a standard vcr will work as you generally need an input and an output from the vcr for the quad to work properly, so you would probably need a time lapse machine for it.

On sequence, i.e. just a camera switcher, you would only record whatever camera the switcher displayed at the time.

For motion detection for the Multiplexer to prioritise which camera is being recorded, you would need a 'multiplexer' and not a quad, multiplexers are either simplex or duplex, a simplex will not let you have a quad screen view while its recording, only sequence or single camera selection on the viewing monitor where duplex will record multiple cameras at a time and allow you to view a quad screen while recording all cameras.

Guest deefadog

Thanks for the helpfull info,

ok got to re-think this :) There does not seem to be an easy way to this :)

So if i get 4 cameras and 4 RF Wideband Modulators - these will allow me to set each camera to an RF fixed channel - so i can tune these in to my TV via Coax.

That will be the viewing part of it!

Now for the recoding -

If i used one of these - auto recoding unit On each camera?

Maybe to have each camera going through the rf modulators and split the lead before the modulator to go into each of the recoding boxes? But then i guess i would have to have 4 video recorders? :)

My brain hurts now!

So just to recap what i am after (sorry to repeat my self)

4 cameras that out put into 4 rf modulators - so i can see each camera on a seperate tv channel

Then i want to record any camera that has been trigered via the ir or a seperate pir to a standard vcr.

It's all getting very messy.

The IR on the cameras has noting to do with motion detection, its just a series of IR LED's powered and fitted into the camera body to illuminate the areas at night.

If you were to connect a PIR to each camera (external PIR) then you would have the ability to send a signal back to whatever device can be triggered from a PIR but would need to be matched to the camera input on that device.

So that means you would need an alarm input on your switcher/quad/multiplexer/vcr etc.

From what I can make out, that PVA-1 unit will take a composite signal, add the time and date and requires you to have a trigger i.e. from a PIR, then I think it would use a remote control to switch the vcr on and record etc. You would have to get more information on that because if it can control the channels of a vcr then you could use one for each camera and set it to change the channel to be recorded, but then you would have to take the video out signal of the PVA-1 and send it through an RF modulator before connecting it to the aerial feed. Or use 1 PVA-1 for each camera.

Another way to do it could be by using an active multiple Scart switch, so you would then need to connect a power source to pin 8 of each scart I believe it is which you could do directly from a PIR if you have any knowledge of electronics.

But you would still need to trigger a recorder on an alarm trigger event. So maybe the Scart switch could go before 1 PVA-1 unit to provide the signal from whichever camera was triggered.

I still think your best bet would be to buy a DVR and a camera, then add extra cameras when funds permit.

It's all getting very messy.
Thats an understatement...........I would love to see a picture of the finished system.
I still think your best bet would be to buy a DVR and a camera, then add extra cameras when funds permit.

Yep it would avoid the forthcoming mess.

Think your right guyz!

by the time i get all the little things together i may as well do the proper job!

Do your recommend any particular DVR?

70422[/snapback]

For the money you are going to spend on a DVR, they are all pretty much the same, but again you need to decide what you want from the DVR, for example, how will you get the information off the DVR when you need it as evidence.

At the least you should find one that enables PC back up (if you have a PC).

If you are just going to rely on motion detection only to record then the standard hard drive fitted should do. Best thing would be to find some DVR's then post the links and we can give you a better idea from there.

Guest deefadog

Thanks Rich, I'll do some research on the DVR's first as i have limited knowledge of them.

Yes i do have a pc, and i am a stickler for backups :)

With the dvr system, would i be able to view each camera on my TV's throught the house?

Have a good weekend btw :)

Archived