Security Installer Community

Moth set off the PIR?

Guest colin

we have had similar problems at this time of year with spiders ans insects, The most effective thing i have foud is a spray called "DETHLAC". It's a green/white tin suitable for killing most insects you can buy it from wilkinsons. We normally spray the detectors once every six months and that seems to do the trick.

Martin

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

Guest Cerberus NI
used to get a few call outs to spiders in sensors or walking across lens.

The customer was always not convinced until i opened the cover and out ran the spider.

Used to get a few calls to fire systems by corn flies inside the detector chamber.

The customers think we are mad putting flea collars around the detector but it really works.

68674[/snapback]

Had the same problem with big Tann Synch heads with tiny black flyers getting into them through the mesh.Customer sent them up to Enviromental Health (it was a council visitor centre) who said that they were Parasitic Wasps.Changed the head for an Apollo and 'nae bother since.

We smear vasoline around the edge of the sensor along the seal where the lid meets the backplate all the way around so that not only can insects get in but spiders wont walk over the lense! You just have to be careful you dont put finger marks over the customers wall!

Trade Member

We smear vasoline around the edge of the sensor along the seal where the lid meets the backplate all the way around so that not only can insects get in but spiders wont walk over the lense! You just have to be careful you dont put finger marks over the customers wall!

68747[/snapback]

i bet you get some strange looks when you pull the vasoline out your tool box.. :ninja:

Would it be normal for a small/medium sized moth to be able to set off a PIR? The alarm went off just as we went to bed and upon entering the room/zone which had been triggered there was a moth sitting next to the PIR. I assume that it just happened to fly next to the PIR so to the detector it looked like a big moving object in the room. Is there anything I can do to prevent false alarms like this?

Thanks.

68646[/snapback]

when you say sitting...was it in a little moth chair.. :P

cheers Eng,

Needed a laugh, :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Had a **** day.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Had the same problem with big Tann Synch heads with tiny black flyers getting into them through the mesh.Customer sent them up to Enviromental Health (it was a council visitor centre) who said that they were Parasitic Wasps.Changed the head for an Apollo and 'nae bother since.

68693[/snapback]

This was an XP95 optical,usually very tollerant but i saw the little gits inside.

The receptionist said that the alarm went when someone came through the front door.

It was like a hurricane that day so the wind must of blown the flies around inside and set off the detector.

It still amazes me how they manage to get into picture frames.

Archived