Security Installer Community

Running cables on outside of house

Guest heliart

We do chase cables in and protect cables, But NOT ON THE OUTSIDE OF A HOUSE.

Diy Job or not, the job should be done correctly, A DIY Installer has loads more time to do the job, noone to pay etc etc, So no excuse for not trying to do the job right.

We do however dig trenches and fit underground ducting to protect garages and out buildings, but these are normally well below ground and with no external access to the duct or cabling.

66575[/snapback]

thought you do wireless or do you get radio signals buried as well..

:whistle:

Guest roonster
We do chase cables in and protect cables, But NOT ON THE OUTSIDE OF A HOUSE.

Diy Job or not, the job should be done correctly, A DIY Installer has loads more time to do the job, noone to pay etc etc, So no excuse for not trying to do the job right.

We do however dig trenches and fit underground ducting to protect garages and out buildings, but these are normally well below ground and with no external access to the duct or cabling.

66575[/snapback]

Fair enough, I guess it aint really nessesary. All my cable are run from the inside. Maybe very rare situations when they need to be run on the outside.

But i guess its bad practice to run cable for the whole system from the outside no matter what,

Unless maybe a small run chased in for the bellbox? Although its best to have it coming straight out of the wall and into the back of the box.

Is it OK to run alarm cables on the outside of the house. I thinking if I do go wired, I could get everything connected on the outside of my house with very little disruption to the inter decor.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Steve

66530[/snapback]

I appreciate you are not in the trade so dont know steve but its good that you ask! the answer is no! you never run alarm cable outside the protected area although some would say it would be ok if it was within threaded steel conduit! but best to accept that its a no no :yes: I wish it was ok my working life would have been so much easier over the years!! :yes: Paul.

If you put the clips far enough apart, the cable can double as a xmas card holder.

Or instead of running cables outside why not use conductive paint? nothing to cut, nothing for us pesky proffesionals to complain about.

66597[/snapback]

Does it come in 8-core :ninja:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

:roflmao:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

I once went to a job and found the cables to the front bay window contacts cliped outside the house round the front door to the windows.

Also on the same job the bentley 2>2 key panel had 6 core under the carpet in the hall for the mains feed to a 30amp fuse in the consumer unit...

I powered it down and refused to work on it. :no::no::no:

It comes in as many cores as you can paint stripes on the wall. The thicker the stripes the more current you can run, but of course thicker means less cores unfortunately.

66601[/snapback]

what about "wireless" option? does the paint hang in the air then?

:question:

Mate from another company told me of a guy once who fitted a system, record time, customer rang into say how impressed he was with no cables showing, MD went round to look as it was a new 'engineer'.

MT2 down the outside and round to each device, needless to say he was soon given the boot!

:no:

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Archived