Security Installer Community

Running cables on outside of house

Guest heliart

Guest heliart

Is it OK to run alarm cables on the outside of the house. I thinking if I do go wired, I could get everything connected on the outside of my house with very little disruption to the inter decor.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Steve

Put simply ABSOLUTELY NOT, no cables can be run outside without full mechanical protection ie conduit preferably steel, and quite frankly would look blooming awful

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

All alarm cables should ideally be run inside the protected area i.e. that the cables cannot be accessed without triggering a detector. The rest, as Monteey said, and as I believe I mentioned on another thread....

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest roonster

yup if they are not protected properly or visable then a potential burglar could check to see if your sytem is up and running.

Cut a few wires and see if it goes off. (Thats if tampers have beem used though!) If it doesnt hes got probability on his side and may take a gamble.

You could however chase them into the wall and put them in conduit. And then make good. I doubt the pros do this, but for a diy job....

You could however chase them into the wall and put them in conduit. And then make good. I doubt the pros do this, but for a diy job....

66564[/snapback]

Ahem, excuse me.......

Some of us do when required but usually manage to hide cables without resorting to chasing. ;)

Guest roonster

ohhhh sorrrryyy!!

I thought only diyers do chases for alarm cables and all other cables. Usually cos they have the time to make them good, clean up all the dust etc etc.

I guess if its enivetable you pros probably do chase walls. But only as a last resort. Diyers on the other hand, well its their own house they can do what they want. They answer only to themselves. Hence i assumed that the pros didnt do it. But alas i was wrong.

We do chase cables in and protect cables, But NOT ON THE OUTSIDE OF A HOUSE.

Diy Job or not, the job should be done correctly, A DIY Installer has loads more time to do the job, noone to pay etc etc, So no excuse for not trying to do the job right.

We do however dig trenches and fit underground ducting to protect garages and out buildings, but these are normally well below ground and with no external access to the duct or cabling.

Archived