Security Installer Community

GSM Speech Dialler

Guest mikechids

Guest mikechids

Hi,

I `ve looked at a number of speech diallers that have been recomended on this site. Are there any products out there that can call a number either land line or mobile and give a message that the alarm has been activated but uses the mobile network i.e not via a land line.

I live in a terraced house and the main BT line comes in through the top of the front door so is simple to cut and disable any normal dialler.

I have a bells only galaxy system.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

Although I'm likely to be a bit biased, (creator of SMShield), our unit is solely GSM based, unlike some that "pretend" to send text messages directly, when they're really being sent by PSTN to a GSM server somewhere (I won't name them, I'm sure you've all seen through their techno-babble). Our unit is also ARC free, only the GSM network carries the information. You don't need a PC to program it or mess around with SIM cards either, it's all done by text messages. You could be on a beach in Barbados and program our unit, but don't let your Engineers know that, or they'll all be on a 'plane tomorrow.

If you're ever in the Nottingham area, Lynne has one on display at PSS, and I'm sure you'll get a nice cup of coffee too.

Ian Boston

www.smshield.com

"Whilst you were out, was someone else in?"

Oh, and by the way, up till today, Karl wasn't on commision, but he might be tomorrow ;)

Guest Peter James

I beleive the Castle stuff works on the land line to send the gsm message Colin. Castle do a GSM product but Im sure that it works like Dcom gsm Via the Central Station.

The SM sheild looks good but it doesnt mention sim cards or network connections, and reading between the lines looks as though it may go through there own network.

There are other products out there nothing that I would really recomend yet though.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I must look at our product description again then, as our product goes via any of the GSM service providers, Orange, O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile or whatever, it does not go via our system at all (cos we don't have one ;-)). Just buy a Pay-as-you-go SIM , or contract or whatever, and off a texting it will go.

Ian Boston

www.smshield.com

"Whilst you were out, was someone else in?"

Guest Peter James

Hi Ian

I looked long and hard at the manual in acrobat format it looked very good but it didnt seem to say anything about networks.

I also quickly glanced around the rest of your web pages and I couldnt find any info about putting in a Sim.

At first I though it was just a land line dialer that sends sms.

A summary of the products and what they do for would not go a miss, for dummys like me :)

Pete

Hi Pete,

No worries. One of the reasons very little is mentioned about SIMs is that it doesn't matter to us, as long as it's network valid (it isn't constructed out of old mobile phones and bits of string and sellotape like some "rival" products). Anyway, I've added a bullet point to the Basics page. I'll add a page tomorrow, with a pic, and show where the SIM goes. In reality, once you see one, it's obvious.

That's one of the problems when you work so close to something for so long, you forget the obvious. "Wood for trees" comes to mind. :)

Regards

Ian

Hi,

I'm afraid PSS's web skills are a little basic, but their telephone manner and coffee is excellent. (BTW in no way affiliated to them either).

Prices start at one off at £199, 10 off even less than that. More than a speech dialler, but there's a lot more into GSM than picking up a phone line, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

There are other similar pieces of equipment out there, and I'm sure you know them all, but no-where near the cost and flexibility of ours. (OK, saleman's hat off now ;))

Ian

Archived