Security Installer Community

GSM Speech Dialler

Guest mikechids

Is it or would it be possible to actually connect a standard phone to this unit, just to aid in simply topping up the GSM card, and also as a feature for sites with no other means of a handy phone line to call for assistance when on-site..?

Or perhaps a Dialer unit add-on.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Not really, no.

Topping up the SIM is normally done over the phone to the service provider with a credit card, or using a top up card at your local friendly corner shop. You don't need to remove the SIM to do so. I've had one in my car since December, and it's not been opened since, all done at the local paper-shop.

Not sure where you're going with the call for assistance. Is that for installing? If so you'll have a mobile phone to configure SMShield using text messages anyway? If you mean in a panic scenario, you could use one of our inputs to send a text of panic, and call a number so that when answered, a speech path will be open, and if fitted, an external microphone would be connected. Although, a speaker output is not a standard build.

So it sort of can be done, but it's not really meant for this.

When used as an OEM application, there is spare hardware capability, and if enough people want this then we'll think about doing it, but not at the moment.

Ian

When the optional microphone is connected, can i actually dial into the unit at anytime and listen in..?

Is the OEM unit, compatable with whatever SIM i decide to use, what i mean is should i decide to change networks is it simply a matter of changing the sim and re-programing or would the ordered unit be network specific..?

Are there any outputs on the unit..? that i could change simply by dialing into the unit and issuing the nesessary commands, lets say the SMShield had dialed me and i wanted to listen in, is there an output i can use to say switch a relay that i might use to disable internal sounders..?

Hope you dont mind these constant questions. :)

And yeah a Speaker output would be nice :)

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Hi Dave,

Yes, you can dial in at any time, but for data protection and privacy, if the unit is in its UNSET state, it will not connect the mic. Only when the unit is in its SET state will the mic be connected.

We enable any number to call in at any time (say if you were in the office, or a hotel and wanted to listen in). However, if you are the main 'phone holder, you can send it a text message, and it will call you back.

You can change the SIM at any time. We do not store any information on it, we have our own NVR on board. There may be some issues with the latest GPRS enabled SIMs but the normal Pay-as-you-go on Orange, T-mobile, Vodafone and O2 all work without any problems.

There are two outputs, open collector, just attach a relay between it and 12V.

When supplied, the outputs follow the following:

OP1, will follow the SET/UNSET state of the unit.

OP2 will fire for two minutes after a trip on an input.

(A bit like SET indicator and Bell on an alarm panel) But this can be disabled via a text message if desired.

However, they can be swithed on at will by a simple text message, or on a timer if you wish.

I don't mind the questions, the happier you are, the happier I am.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Quick Update:

If anyone's interested, we have updated our web-site to make browsing a little easier. Any comments, pro or con (but be nice please) will be appreciated.

Ian cheers

• 1 year later...
Guest tsaleem

Hello Mike,

I was wondering if you've had any joy with your search for an acceptable GSM dialer. I'm looking for just the same.

Thanks

tausif.

Hi,

I `ve looked at a number of speech diallers that have been recomended on this site. Are there any products out there that can call a number either land line or mobile and give a message that the alarm has been activated but uses the mobile network i.e not via a land line.

I live in a terraced house and the main BT line comes in through the top of the front door so is simple to cut and disable any normal dialler.

I have a bells only galaxy system.

Thanks

Mike

3564[/snapback]

• 3 years later...

I would recommend the M30 Autodialer @ M30 GSM dialer.

It can handle upto 56 different alarm inputs each with its own real speech message, and can connect to both a land line and the gsm network.

You can set it up to always use the GSM network or only if the land line has been cut.

we have 5 on our sites and they have never let us down.

Archived