Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800

Guest jackiec

14 years ago I installed my alarm, having read up on the subject and after managing to get virtually zero advice from  some members of your community. I am not a  bodge-up DIY merchant and I truly believe my workmanship is as professional as any in your trade.

I am pleased to say that one amongst you was happy to give (free) advice and am sad to say that customer relations in your trade leave a lot to be desired if some of the replies to this post are anything to go by.

By the way, I fixed the problem and the system is now working perfectly, just has it has done since 1991!

59735[/snapback]

Well said, after all this is supposed to be the !!..DIY Alarm Installers..!! Forum.

I do get the impression that most who reply to "DIY" questions here seem to think that people are unable to "DIY", not true as you have obviously proved.

It does make me wonder why there is a "DIY" forum inviting questions when the only answers seem to be 'get it serviced' or something similar, oh, I forgot 'it needs a new battery'

magpye :whistle:

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Well said, after all this is supposed to be the !!..DIY Alarm Installers..!! Forum.

I do get the impression that most who reply to "DIY" questions here seem to think that people are unable to "DIY", not true as you have obviously proved.

It does make me wonder why there is a "DIY" forum inviting questions when the only answers seem to be 'get it serviced' or something similar, oh, I forgot 'it needs a new battery'

59747[/snapback]

Liability for a start. I don't think it says anywhere that this site is to provide tutorials on how to wire up, programme and fault find on an alarm panel. Lots of things can be answered, even more cannot and should not IMO.

I am interested to know what advice you would have given to jackiec on how to resolve his/her problem.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

14 years ago I installed my alarm, having read up on the subject and after managing to get virtually zero advice from  some members of your community. I am not a  bodge-up DIY merchant and I truly believe my workmanship is as professional as any in your trade.

I am pleased to say that one amongst you was happy to give (free) advice and am sad to say that customer relations in your trade leave a lot to be desired if some of the replies to this post are anything to go by.

By the way, I fixed the problem and the system is now working perfectly, just has it has done since 1991!

59735[/snapback]

Glad you managed to sort out the problem with your system. If you don't mind me asking, what was the problem/fix?

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Liability for a start. I don't think it says anywhere that this site is to provide tutorials on how to wire up, programme and fault find on an alarm panel. Lots of things can be answered, even more cannot and should not IMO.

I am interested to know what advice you would have given to jackiec on how to resolve his/her problem.

59777[/snapback]

I can't say, as per above!!!

Question, which is what I was getting at, why have this (!!..DIY Alarm Installers..!!) forum in the first place?

By the way, if time is spent searching answers given to quite a lot of questions, you will be surprised at how much 'secret' information is given out along with 'I have sent you an email' - so I'll not tell you in public, but I will, 'behind closed doors'

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

14 years ago I installed my alarm, having read up on the subject and after managing to get virtually zero advice from  some members of your community.

59735[/snapback]

A big well done to Dave (Service Engineer) i did not know this community had been going 14years. :whistle:

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

you will be surprised at how much 'secret' information is given out along with 'I have sent you an email' - so I'll not tell you in public, but I will, 'behind closed doors'

Who individual members choose to help via a PM or email, is totally upto them. And I do not condone or agree with this practise. Most members will draw there own conclusions as to whether you know what your doing, and if the information requested is something they are willing to supply.

At the end of the day though, sharing information with 1 person, is much more preferable than publishing that information in the open forums where potentially anyone could have access to it.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

There seems to be some confusion here with the diy'ers and the proffessionals, sorry bout spelling I've misplaced my glasses. My age you know!!!

The point of issuing advice to DIY'ers is about the level of advice. I estimate if you can get over sometihng by pressing one button then that advice is free, if it involves getting a p.c or screwdriver out then that is a different matter. At the end of the day we want to provide a service and get recommended for our ability to carry out our proffession for which we have been trained for. I for one dont want to be recommended for giving out advice for free on a regular basis whereby I'm on an installation etc and my phone is ringing constantly by DIY'ers wanting to know 'what will happen if I press 'A''. ' PRESS IT AND FIND OUT' Something I used to tell my engineers when they used to phone me from a call out at two in the morning. Nothing works better than experience. Good luck to DIY'ers for they are our engineers for tomorrow. :ninja:

Bri

trade.gif

Oh and by the way if we go off on a tangent its because a comment has been made by another that sparks off a reply to that rather than starting a new yopic. Which in turn gets everybody reading every topic hopefully.

' In order to argue you need the facts' ;)

Bri

trade.gif

And also, if I didnt find this

I truly believe my workmanship is as professional as any in your trade.

59735[/snapback]

so funny Id probably be insulted by it.

59891[/snapback]

Agreed!!!

Come on jackiec, what is your profession.

Plastic surgeon????

Perhaps we can all have a crack at that!

Have got some plastic lying around somewhere, can`t be that difficult can it?

(looks for hot glue gun)

Trade Full Member

Archived