Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800

Guest jackiec

Guest jackiec

I have a Scantronic 9800 installed by myself in 1991. No problems over the years but now the external surge purge has blown. Whilst a new one was on order, in engineering mode, I removed mains and battery power from the control panel to by-pass the surge purge. When I restored both mains and battery power to the panel, although there is power going into the 2 remote key pads, the green power light is not illuminated nor is the red service LED. Therefore I am unable to key 99 to get out of engineering mode. I have tried to reboot the RKPs by powering the control panel down, waiting 10 mins and then powering up. I have also tried removing each of the wires on the back of the RKP and waiting a while before reconnecting but to no avail.

Any ideas???

Guest jackiec

Yes. Have performed the "Engineer test functions" on a regular basis as per the 9800 installation manual.

So that's a no then. That's a bit like saying yes I service my car regularly, I open and close the drivers door and flash the lights.

It needs a proper service on an annual basis otherwise you eventually get problems like this. The 9800 is a good panel, but not indestructable. It still needs a regular service, as do all pieces of equipment.

I would seriously recommend you get an engineer to service the system correctly. If you post your location there may be an engineer in your area reading the board.

Guest jackiec

Point(s) taken and noted. If I refresh the NVM to restore the panel to factory default, will this reboot the RKP's ??

Seriously, if I told a mechanic that the engine in my car won't start but that I checked the alternator, the battery and the fuel, and then asked him why it won't start without him looking at it, do you think he might be able to tell me?

When a keypad crashes, often doing what you did (removing power) can cure it- if it is not a serious fault (that seems to work with most items!). But now that you have exhausted all simple possibilities, you will need an engineer with a multimeter and experience to fault find and repair.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Which takes me nicely back to..............

..............call an engineer.

59620[/snapback]

OH, striaght to the point, but a 9800 should automatically connect the rkp unless there is a power fault.

Did i read a post somewhere about if the word 'service' is mentioned people just vanish ?

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Stuart Whitchurch.

SJW Electrical Services

Data, Voice, Power and Security.

www.sjwelectrical.co.uk

general@sjwelectrical.co.uk

Stuart just had look at your website, very nice and straight to the point. However where it says click on images on the left for more info only one image is tagged. Then all the images on the right are tagged, so is it left looking out or right looking in. :unsure:

Bri

trade.gif

Stuart just had look at your website, very nice and straight to the point. However where it says click on images on the left for more info only one image is tagged. Then all the images on the right are tagged, so is it left looking out or right looking in. :unsure:

59683[/snapback]

Work in progress. ;)

I've not got the flair for design so it takes a while to come up with a new page, I think the lack of ideas helps with the stright-to-the-point-ness of the site though.

Are you doing it yourself? I paid to have mine done, just havent got the time to sit down and S.W.M.B.O. hates me on the p.c. :realmad:

I'm still waiting to get a traffic report to tell me who's visited and I want to update it myself rather than pay again. :no:

Bri

trade.gif

Yep, all my own work. I've got it hosted with 1and1 and I get daily traffic reports, so I can see when you've been. :ninja:

I'm using Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 for the building of the site and Fireworks for the graphics editing but that's probably a bit overkill for someone just doing one website for themselves. There are decent open source alternatives, the GIMP for graphics, but I can't remember what the web design one is called.

The majority of the site only took me a couple of days to do, then spent a few evenings tweaking it a bit. Not done anything on it for a while, need to get it finished really.

It's quite funny how often a member of the public asks a question, a couple of answers come their way, and then the topic goes off on a complete tangent. :unsure:

It is also very true how they hate not been given final solutions to their problems and disappear when they don't get the answer they hoped for (i.e. that they WILL have to spend a little bit of money). :no:

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

As a "member of the public" I'm a little concerned by the way the tone of later posts in this chain are turning against us without any obvious justification. This topic was only started about 24 hours ago and maybe, just maybe, the initiator doesn't spend 24 hours a day looking at this forum? Do you all think you are being fair? :cry:

I wasn't specifically referring to this enquiry when I made my comment; I was actually referring to a comment that someone recently posted somewhere (which could have been on this thread??). I haven't been a member for long but there does seem to be a significant amount of enquiries that, when engineers on the forum are really trying to help and provide sound advice, don't ever get followed up. This seems to happen when the enquiry cannot be solved without a real service visit. It always seems to be kind of one sided in as much that the "initiator" wants a solution and is happy to ask questions and take advice until the point comes that they cannot resolve their problem on their own.

But I agree with your point: most people don't spend 24 hours looking at forums (I know because I always check :whistle: )and I apologise if I have offended anyone .

It's quite funny how often a member of the public asks a question, a couple of answers come their way, and then the topic goes off on a complete tangent. 

It is also very true how they hate not been given final solutions to their problems and disappear when they don't get the answer they hoped for (i.e. that they WILL have to spend a little bit of money).  :no:

59702[/snapback]

Agreed. This reminds me of customer relations.

Customers!

14 years ago I installed my alarm, having read up on the subject and after managing to get virtually zero advice from  some members of your community. I am not a  bodge-up DIY merchant and I truly believe my workmanship is as professional as any in your trade.

I am pleased to say that one amongst you was happy to give (free) advice and am sad to say that customer relations in your trade leave a lot to be desired if some of the replies to this post are anything to go by.

By the way, I fixed the problem and the system is now working perfectly, just has it has done since 1991!

59735[/snapback]

Well said, after all this is supposed to be the !!..DIY Alarm Installers..!! Forum.

I do get the impression that most who reply to "DIY" questions here seem to think that people are unable to "DIY", not true as you have obviously proved.

It does make me wonder why there is a "DIY" forum inviting questions when the only answers seem to be 'get it serviced' or something similar, oh, I forgot 'it needs a new battery'

magpye :whistle:

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Well said, after all this is supposed to be the !!..DIY Alarm Installers..!! Forum.

I do get the impression that most who reply to "DIY" questions here seem to think that people are unable to "DIY", not true as you have obviously proved.

It does make me wonder why there is a "DIY" forum inviting questions when the only answers seem to be 'get it serviced' or something similar, oh, I forgot 'it needs a new battery'

59747[/snapback]

Liability for a start. I don't think it says anywhere that this site is to provide tutorials on how to wire up, programme and fault find on an alarm panel. Lots of things can be answered, even more cannot and should not IMO.

I am interested to know what advice you would have given to jackiec on how to resolve his/her problem.

14 years ago I installed my alarm, having read up on the subject and after managing to get virtually zero advice from  some members of your community. I am not a  bodge-up DIY merchant and I truly believe my workmanship is as professional as any in your trade.

I am pleased to say that one amongst you was happy to give (free) advice and am sad to say that customer relations in your trade leave a lot to be desired if some of the replies to this post are anything to go by.

By the way, I fixed the problem and the system is now working perfectly, just has it has done since 1991!

59735[/snapback]

Glad you managed to sort out the problem with your system. If you don't mind me asking, what was the problem/fix?

Liability for a start. I don't think it says anywhere that this site is to provide tutorials on how to wire up, programme and fault find on an alarm panel. Lots of things can be answered, even more cannot and should not IMO.

I am interested to know what advice you would have given to jackiec on how to resolve his/her problem.

59777[/snapback]

I can't say, as per above!!!

Question, which is what I was getting at, why have this (!!..DIY Alarm Installers..!!) forum in the first place?

By the way, if time is spent searching answers given to quite a lot of questions, you will be surprised at how much 'secret' information is given out along with 'I have sent you an email' - so I'll not tell you in public, but I will, 'behind closed doors'

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Archived