Security Installer Community

CCTV In lifts

Hi

I Been asked to Install a CCTV into some flats on all 12 floors and also 2 covert cams in the 2 lifts, never done a lift before so i am open to Ideas and instructions, I have been looking and was wondering how to transmit the video from the camera to the receiving DVR, I normally use a Mel Secure Visbox for this but not too sure this would work in this instance..

Any help would be appreciated

Paul

Get the lift company to give you a cost for putting you coax and power cables in, they have a a special wiring loom from the top to the lift car, dont forget to ask them how much cable you need i think when we have done them its 1 1/2 from top the the car.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I was under the impression that alot of the lift companies nowadays incorporate a redundant coax cable in the loom already for this very instance, as its more and more common to have coverts in lifts for security/vandalism resons.

As mentioned above you may find there are cables available that you can use in their wiring loom, if its an old lift you may have problems.

I have also cable tied a coax and 2 core to a lift loom before, not through choice i should add and it was also a 2 levels only lift not a tower block.

As for a covert camera, you may struggle there, i would suggest an Anti Vandal dome rather than a covert as getting behind the panels is going to be a problem.

I fitted some cameras in lifts not long ago, not covert, we got wedge shape anti-vandals with the idea of if the tennants could see them maybe they would calm down. It did not have the effect hoped for, when playing back on the dvr it should have had an 18 certificate.

We got the lift people to install the cable and bill the customer direct :). When you go to fit the cameras take plenty of hand wipes as the top of the cars are not the cleanest.

One idea for your coverts is make own. For a national customer I used the air freshener things you see all over public building and stuck a PCB camera inside using a hot glue gun. Worked spot on

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

The most common cameras in lifts ive seen are the corner vandle resistant ones. I would still try and go for covert or maybe covert and a dummy, as the corner ones ive seen can be disabled with a yobos tin of aerosol spray paint etc.

Thanks Guys

Theres some really good info there, the other company who quoted this job has told the council that they are going to put in a camera disguised as a lift button :no: , now i know this aint gonna work as the lifts are about 15 years old they have the solid buttons, and they are too far over to the left lift to get any kind of View, ..

Thanks again for the replys

The lift buttons can be done but are not the best IMO.

Ive seen them done with a prism Lense slightly smoked out - custom job but worked a treat (Until someone put chewing gum over the button), thats why I prefer different approaches.

If you can use a pinhole lens board camera you could look at maybe fitting it behind a spoof speaker grill plate, it depends on the control panel for the lift.

The best thing would be to liaise with a lift engineer on site and find some areas behind the panelling with some room for a board camera, you could then drill a small hole for the lens, You will probably need a good drill and a quality bit as the steel will probably be quite tough.

For the cable loom for the camera in the shaft, don't use standard RG59, use a multi strand core coax as you will get more flexibility as the lift goes up and down on the strain areas.

don't use standard RG59, use a multi strand core coax as you will get more flexibility as the lift goes up and down on the strain areas.

58596[/snapback]

always thinking, eh

If you don't know......ask.

Archived