Security Installer Community

Council with a sense of humour

jb-eye

A post to retain membership

We have been asked to look at a number of Council sites with remote CCTV. All have varying levels of faults and failed equipment. When investigating each site we noted a trend of throwing cables (Coax and Mains) over the roof. We have sent our findings back to the Council who didn

Customers!

Guest prescott2000

Totally agree with you jef.

Most of my work is with councils, they just dont care as long as the price is right.

Suspect there is more to it than price, if you know where i am coming from!!!!

Councils taking the p**s!

Surely not .... how could this be.... :angry:

The number of times I've been stitched up by council departments over the years, I could probably write a book on it; hmmm now there's an idea for making some money out of council CCTV jobs.

We do a lot of work for two councils in our area, One of them is spot on althogh we do bend over backwards for them as they spent a large amount of money on security which we get about 70%.

The other council is a bit different, we get a lot of work off them but they specify the kit we fit. This causes us problems all the time as the pir they want, I wont name it but think of an intelligent bird, is **** and the delivery time for a large quantity is shocking. On every job we do we beg them to let us fit aritech, but no we have to wait for the specified pir. So control & signalling could be complete but were waiting 2 weeks for the pirs, we dont get paid for all the return visits to complete the job. They specifiy all the security equipment and I recently fitted some domes which I know are not cheap, but possabily the worst image i have seen of a high res camera. There has got to be something going on that we are not aware of, Its just a shame these people are in control of our council tax.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Yet if you ask them what their buying criteria is, they say "best product/service, best price".

i.e. they will accept a higher price for suitable/best solution.

Yeah, right mate.

The "solution" accepted is invariably down to the best smooth talk for the best price.

We have decided to take a different approach. If it is successful I will let you know.

M

Matt Gilmartin, Sales Director

T: +44(01205) 821111 | F: +44(01205) 820316

info@smoke-screen.co.uk | www.smoke-screen.co.uk

Head office:

1-2 North End, Swineshead, Boston, Lincs PE20 3LR

Registered in the UK no. 2728491

Totally agree with you jef.

Most of my work is with councils, they just dont care as long as the price is  right.

Suspect there is more to it than price, if you know where i am  coming from!!!!

58213[/snapback]

Councils have to abide by rules, one of which is they have to accept the cheapest quote, provided the company is on the approved list.

I would argue they do care, the problems relate to removing a company from the list is not that easy, its not down to the stndards of work but to the qualification, such as NSI/SSAIB approved, which proves very little or nothing clearly. As in if they are an approved company then theyre good enough for councils work.

I must admit there are some shady goings on but knowing they happen and proving they happen are two different worlds.

I once lost a job to //.National Installer.//, a CCTV system in a grade two listed town hall when I went there to carry out some other work in the building after //.National Installer.// had finished, I could not beleive my eyes all the co-ax cables (black) had been surfaced clipped internally using 2.5mm white T&E clips and they got away with it.

Archived