Security Installer Community

Getting Qualified

An Engineer

Does anyone know how I can currently get qualified as an electrician?

I phoned NICEIC for advice and they said to go to a tech college and take C&G 2360 Electrical Installation. I phoned my local college but they said they no longer did that course. The tutor said the course I needed depended on who I wanted to register with once qualified and that there was much confusion over Part P registration. Anyway, he suggested C&G 2330 for 12 months, then 16th edition and then a domestic installer sheme after that.

I then looked on a website all about getting qualified and that suggested NVQ.

Also, having not worked for an electrical contracting company (I'm an intruder alarm engineer) would I need to take NVQ 1+2 for two years before doing NVQ 3?

I could do with finding out for sure what route to take as colleges will be enrolling next month.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

A lot depend on whether you are getting qualified in connection with the electrical works associated with your current job or if you want to go into being an electrician full time.

If its for your current job then to prove competance you need to complete C&G 2391 and 2381 and an EAL certificate.

Two places that do courses www.techniquetraining.co.uk and http://www.brianscaddan.co.uk/

If you want to be a JIB approved electrician then you will need to do an NVQ and get a lot of electrical practice with a electrical firm.

No Easy options, depends on how you see your career path developing.

Colin.

I got my JIB with my current employer (large national co) like all the other engineers but not sure exactly what this means, we just had to do a test one day.

What I want to do is start-up my own business in intruder alarms and cctv within next 5 years. However I'd also like to be able to electrical work, rewires, faults, everything. I'm know it won't be easy but I really want this.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Yes, I think it is, something to do with being allowed on building sites I seem to recall.

Am I correct in assuming that with this qualification http://www.techniquetraining.co.uk/electri...t%20courses.htm C&G 2381, I will be able to do electrical jobs?

Service Engineer

Yes, I think it is, something to do with being allowed on building sites I seem to recall.

Am I correct in assuming that with this qualification http://www.techniquetraining.co.uk/electri...t%20courses.htm C&G 2381, I will be able to do electrical jobs?

52970[/snapback]

You have to train to become an electrician e.g apprenticeship 3 yrs +

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

No.

With electrics you have to prove competance, you would need to complete the C&G 2391 and 2381 and an EAL certificate. Then you would need to register with one of the domestic installer schemes Niceic, ECA and Nappits etc.

But even with those qualifications you are limited to your own knowledge and abillity. If you dont have practical experience and knowledge of best industry practice, it doesn't matter what qualifications you have, you would be able to prove competance. Catch 22 you need to do the job to get the Knowledge.

Give Brian Scaddan a ring, hes a nice bloke and lead examiner for City and guilds, he will point you in the right direction and clarify what i am saying in more depth. His books are well worth the money(just make sure you get the current issues)

Colin.

Thats great. Thanks for the help and I'll give him a ring on Monday.

Service Engineer

Archived